1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB RG500 Gamma

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by clarityinstatic, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Hello 2T fans!

I'm a relatively new member on here. I've only had saddle time for one track day thus far but it was on a . I'm hoping to change that 2022.
    My plan is to attend some track day schools and get more time riding. I have a project RZV500 that I hope to have track ready by Fall 2021.
    I'm also planning on building an RG500 based track bike with the new frame kits from Martek/ MK Motorsports. Thought I'd check with the 13x folks and put a feeler out there to see if anyone has for sale or knows the whereabouts of an RG500 engine that would be up for grabs.

Hope to see some fellow members at a trackday in the near future. I do plan on attending Gammagatherinf 21 at RA and the Vintage Motorcycle event at Barber layer this year.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Phl218, motion and Shenanigans like this.
  2. I should really proof-read before posting. "I'm a relatively new member on here. I've only had saddle time for one track day thus far but it was on a 4T". "I do plan on attending Gammagathering 21 at RA and the Vintage Motorcycle event at Barber later this year".
    Is there a way to go back and edit posts?

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You can only edit posts for up to 30 minutes.

Good Luck with the Gamma, I owned and loved one years ago. I raced a 89 FZR600 at that time, the Gamma was too valuable for me to throw it down at the track. :)

ToofPic and clarityinstatic like this.
  4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

buy the one Martek Mark is selling with a Dent motor already in it. Get some Dent pipes. Done and done.

5. Apparently he wanted £17500 for the engine [emoji1787] alone.

6. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Be prepared $$$$$
    The old 2 strokes are fetching huge bucks.
    I found my friend a Gamma 500 racebike 4 years ago for $2900 in. AZ...
    He's been offered 20k for it. He's having a engine and pipe combo rebuild to the tune of $8000.00-$10,000 from above said tuner..just motor and pipes.
    Same seller sold him a pretty nice RZ500 racebike project, bike was neat had approx 15k in custom work in receipts , all new never run.
    Then he changed direction during a crank seal refresh and had a full custom YZR conversion done...probably spent 20k on it? But likley it's pretty nice now...with all work being done by a ex Marlboro/Robets GP fabricator/mechanic.
    I may do the same w my RZ350 only from a guy in the So Bay area...way way more affordable for me. I can't decide to keep her orig framed or not...I've had 4 RZs with over 100k logged on them.

But just be prepared to spend 20 k-40k for a reliable competitive 500 cc machine all in...jus sayin

clarityinstatic likes this.
  7. Sweatypants

LOL geezus. then I'm sure he wants another $10-15k at least for the chassis/forks/brakes and such.

I mean, the trans/clutch by itself is like $5-6k, and I've seen people selling RG500 motors for like $6-7k these days that still need all the work done. I dunno how much Dent normally charges or what those parts cost to do the whole 570cc refresh, but I'm sure its pricey all in. Nice shit tho, and would save you a bunch of trouble.

8. Dent is actually very reasonable with his pricing. He sold fully rebuilt stock motors for around £7k mid last year.
    Walker wanted £40K for his rolling chassis. It did have SBK front end, brakes, CF wheels though. Quickly adds up.

Sweatypants likes this.
  9. Sweatypants

Sheesh. That's a chunk, but I get it. I'm into one of mine for more than that with similar type stuff. Adds up quick. It IS damn cool though. If it existed 2 years ago I woulda bought it.

10. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I know Rocky Stargel still has a very nice one.I doubt he would sell it,but I will ask for you.

11. ToofPic

He will sell for $30k
    2nd owner, bought in 1994
    Comes with original blue body,tank,brakes,pipes.
    Currently has all red body and tank.
    If you knew anything about Rocky,his stuff is top shelf.
    I've been around this bike for years,and it's his baby.
    He's not necessarily looking to sell it,but will for the above price.

12. @ToofPic thanks for quickly following up. That sounds like a minter.
    I'm after the engine and electricals. I have no need for the rest and would be a shame to break that up. Moreover that's waaaaay over budget for me. Thanks though!

ToofPic likes this.
  13. ToofPic

He had one in race trim years ago.I got to race at Road Atlanta.I started last row,and was in 2nd place going into 1.
    Very fast/fun bike,but waay to expensive for my broke ass to be crashing

Phl218 and clarityinstatic like this.
  14. This old Rz

So glad I had all 3 2 Strokes when they were relatively new.. I've had 4 RZ350s a RZ500 steel frame (kinda a lump) but a cool bike nine the less. Then in 1988 for only $3800.00 a used
    RG500 with Tommy Crawford pipes, Marvic wheels and rearsets...
    Never thought these things would appreciate in value like they did obviously I never would have sold them, you in the 350s or fetching over 10k now.
    I have almost 10k just in parts for my RZ Franken project... I should have kept it original for the value.
    but on the flip side I had all these bikes when they were new when they were basically relevant and I have no interest in stock bikes I could care less about the value I like modifying anything &everything .
    Its part of the fun for me.
    However I would now keep a Gamma stock as the values have gone berserk...lol
    Had I known 5 years ago but that gamma I found for 2800 would be worth so much I would have bought it myself instead of telling my friend...lol

SpeedyE and clarityinstatic like this.
  15. Your Gamma sounds like it had the Rick Lance treatment! Those sound like period correct mods for the purists. I get what you're saying about retaining the originality though. Definitely drives the value up for the collectors.
    Do you have any pictures of the Franken RZ and the two 500s?

16. This old Rz

Why are z500 wasn't anything special except that I had Toomey pipes on it..... It ripped pretty good back in the day I only have that bike for about 6 months.
    The Gamma I kept a little bit longer.. but sold it as I needed to fix my car.
    I don't really think it had much with Rick I bought it as was from a racer at Willow Springs. I had a ton of two strokes I think you did all the work himself I don't even think Rick could land Marvic rims back then. Rick lived in southern California at the time I remember talking to him this was long before his modifications.
    As far as pictures go this is all I got I have all my stuff on Photobucket and they held it hostage a couple years ago. In the bike is in boxes.
    I took some of these as I had RGV Steve & others do some machine work... And some old pics but you'll get the idea.
    the RZ is at work in progress..like well over a decade...lol.
    Had a lot of shit happen in my life I will finish it eventually.
    I bought it in two stages as parts for my RZ.
    I basically bought everything off these two motorcycles pictured, and then realized that the guy did every single thing wrong so I had it all redone and machined correctly, and re-did the brake stay to a captive unit, had the forks revalved. It was an ordeal both sellers kind of ripped me off for parts that I paid for and then a klusterfuk of poor machine work required a complete overhaul of everything
    It's basically and the following:
    1.) machined and modified Japan spec FZRrr 400Delrabox swingarm. With several different billet aluminum ride height linkages
    2.) 17" Honda NSR250 MAGTEK wheels with custom Ti axles.
    3.) Honda RC-51 front forks in custom Attack Racing GSXR triples. Revalved by LE.
    4.) Either a Penske or a twin clicker rear shock.
    5.) Airtech YZR bodywork.
    6.) Now a TZR250 fuel tank.
    7.) Lomas stainless GP pipes I'll probably go back to original side-by-sidestyle Toomey's...
    As with most projects there's a shit ton of stuff to finish, as well as the motor I'm stuck between going with a Cheetah non PV engine, or just enjoy what she is do a performance port job and retain the stock YPVS.....
    I've had this bike forever and I always keep changing my mind what direction I want to go...... She's definitely my baby though the most fun bike I think anybody could ever own.

Attached Files:

17. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

RG's have been the fastest appreciating 2T's, followed closely by the 250 street bikes.
    The RZV's are slowly catching up, just not as popular as the Zuk.. Prices have been high in Japan for the last few years and there just isn't shit left..
    Basically,,,The longer you wait, the more you will pay, they will NEVER go down...

craig641 likes this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I wonder where the ceiling is on the 4 cylinder 500s? They just keep getting rarer and pricer. I have a RZ500 that I'll be letting go in the next couple or few years.

19. The RZ500s seem to be more reasonable in the price department. They are available in greater numbers than the Gamma though. There's an ebay listing sitting at $35k for over 5 months. Another Lance Gamma at $40K but hasn't moved in few months.

20. This old Rz

Don't take this the wrong way but I am so glad to see a bike that states Lance Gamma work. ( NOT SELL).

It bothers me that after his death people are promoting him like never before and trying to cash in.

His modifications were very very good but nothing out of the ordinary. He pretty much left off in my opinion where Mark Dent starts... No disrespect to Rick none at all he had his recipe and he believed in basically subtly modified stock performance.. which is completely fine as they're very fun and capable bikes especially at 6-7 RPM... It just becomes a different machine instantly.

People always compare the RZ500 & Gamma. The RG was just SOoooo much faster and FAR better handling.

My RZ350s would kick ass on just bout any RZ500.. especially in handling.
    RZ500s were proverbial tanks weighing well into the 500 pound range ..but the Gamma tr made a true real 75+ horsepower and weighed the same as an RZ350!!

That right there was magic!!

I distinctly remember even after three decades.

Having owned all three I love them all the RZ500 is certainly one of the iconic prettiest bikes ever built when done up and Yamaha racing bumblebee livery.... Easily one of the best looking bikes ever

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    motion, zx250r and clarityinstatic like this.