1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB: Front brake rotors for 2006 Gixxer 600

Discussion in 'Wanted to buy or trade' started by DmanSlam, Mar 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a set of brake rotors for my 2006 g-i-x-x-e-r 600.

My left OEM front brake rotor is bent. I thought it was the bearings so I replaced those. But further troubleshooting (with only the right brake caliper on) confirmed the left brake rotor was the culprit.

As an aside: Any reason why one rotor would be bent? I believe I gave it a good look-over when I bought and test rode it last fall and, starting the day after I bought it, did 4-5 track days on it before winterizing it. I haven't checked the fork alignment or frame alignment but there's no damage on the bike and it ran like a champ and appeared to track straight.

Thanks.

2. DmanSlam

This gixxer word substitution is BS... :(

I ran out of ideas to defeat it and correct my title. Suggestions? :Poke:

3. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, anyone that has been around here for a while knows the deal and knows what you mean.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

who does your tires??? Thats typically the problem or if it got hit by something in your garage. Or if youre using those old crappy pingel wheel chocks for transport.
    Just looked up the price and wooof... they two fiddy, EACH. Could probably buy a complete used wheel w/ rotors for that... lol

5. DmanSlam

I'm certain the rotor was bent before I bought it. My first track day, I took the wheels off to get new skins. That's when I noticed the heavy brake drag. I didn't notice a shimmy or pulsation under braking. I thought it was the bearings.

Thanks for the reply.

6. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Not sure how you can NOT have a vibration or 'shimmy/ pulsation' under braking with a bent rotor?

That's like going swimming without getting wet.

7. DmanSlam

@gapman789... Yeah, I figured that someone would point that out. I get it. Makes sense. :) I honestly haven't ridden the bike since last October. But the bent -- it's slightly warped actually -- rotor is super-mildly bent. Warped enough to not turn freely in the caliper on the stand. But not warped enough to feel pulsation that I could recall back then. I wouldn't have ridden it if I had noticed such a braking issue. But, re-reading what I just wrote. Hmm... Oh, well. Problem is being addressed. I appreciate your inquiry. :)

8. gapman789

There is acceptable runout on a rotor. They all seem to have a certain amount of 'wobble'. Have you spun the rim and rotors on front truing/balancer to visually see the warpage? Use a dial indicator to measure runout too.

You could have a bent fork leg. Make sure you're installing the front rim correctly. Believe it or not, there is a right and wrong way.

Some of the front wheels on my race bikes will barely do a full turn when i spin by hand. The Tuono will spin for days though.

If you're not experiencing a vibration, pulsating, etc, then I'd say don't worry about it. All good.

DmanSlam likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

did you remove the calipers and spin? If its just 1 area and below the max spec... an adjustable wrench can be your friend.

10. DmanSlam

Yeah, I did. It spins like a champ.

I'll check on all feedback suggestions, starting with looking into @TurboBlew's suggestion

Wow. My '09 R6 wheels spun well. Also, I didn't know there was (or could be, on some bikes) a "right and wrong way" to install a dual disc front wheel.

I consider myself a pretty good wrencher who's willing to learn. Thanks all.

11. DmanSlam

I took short videos of each front rotor spinning. Was gonna post them here, but looks like I first would have to upload to another site and link it here. *being lazy*

12. TurboBlew

most OEM wheels have a direction arrow embossed in the casting. Rears are a given... fronts can be tricky.
    You'll see race teams highlight it with a contrasting color making the tire vendors job that much easier. Or some etch the direction inside the wheel valley or put a decal or paint pen mark by the valve stem.
    Or if you put angled valve stems on you can clock them just slightly opposite of rotation. Many different ways to leave clues.

13. gapman789

It's a matter of centering the calipers with the rotors.

14. DmanSlam

"Ah-ha" moments at 3:30 and, again, at 6:30. Learned two new nuggets of information watching that video.

boxcrash likes this.
  15. DmanSlam

Here's a pic of my garage right now (in comparison to the workshop shown in the video). :D

Attached Files:

gapman789 likes this.
  16. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

Looks like you might have found out some new info, centering your calipers up good fix you up?

Did that get you set up? You still need a set of rotors, or you good?

Either way I am good if that fixed you up.........no hard feelings. Now I can post up some rotors already packed up and ready to go, lol :)