1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB: First Track/Race Bike to Get into Racing

Discussion in 'Wanted to buy or trade' started by Omair Chughtai, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking for my first track/race bike to get onto the track and maybe in a year or two start competing if I can carry some speed.

Hoping to buy for something already set up for the track that is perhaps a little older as I am a college student in my senior year and the budget is tight. Would prefer a lighter weight twin bike (SV650, R3, Ninja 300, KTM 390) but I'm open to anything.

2. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

A/S/L?

3. Located in Duluth, GA

4. To update this post, looking to spend under $3000

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What's your streetbike?

6. Currently riding a 09 FZ6R. Use to have a CBR600RR and a Ninja 300.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Use some blue tape over the headlights/brakelights and turn that into a trackbike for your first several trackdays.

If you find that you a) like it and b) can afford it, then it's probably time to get a dedicated race/track bike.

8. J_Copeland

J_Copeland Well-Known Member

Your a little far from me,but I have an 01 SV650 that needs the bodywork finished,and Koso gauges installed
    Great running bike.
    Pm me if interested.
    I'm in Ohio,btw!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

9. I gotcha, just to clarify I have run two track days on the FZ6R back in Wisconsin/Illinois through Motovid. However the FZ is in extremely good condition and it's my daily commuter and I don't want to potentially crash/put unnecessary wear and tear on the bike. And although it handles great the weight of the bike is high and I can't get totally comfortable riding it hard. I also find myself worrying too much about potentially damaging that bike and I can't relax and enjoy myself on track. That's why I'm looking for a cheap dedicated bike to really get started on.

10. Thanks for the offer but I have no way to pickup!

11. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I'll trade the FZ for a good N250 and spares.
    and I'm around the corner from you

12. Thanks but like I said the FZ is my daily commuter, pays for itself in gas savings!

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Go race 100s at Josh Herrin's place.

You'll meet someone there with a $2000 SV650 that's probably race ready, minus a set of tires.

Omair Chughtai likes this.
  14. baconologist

I'd still sell the 250 outright if your interested

15. Do you have a link for this? That sounds fun as hell

16. baconologist

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

You'll probably meet people who also race WERA, are relatively close to you, and will thus be at the same tracks. Be friendly. Share shade and water. One of the best parts of this racing thing is the fact that you get to spend so much down-time with awesome people.

I still talk to 2 guys I met at my first trackday. Between the 3 of us, we've had 7 kids screwing with our track schedules over the last 8 years, but we still text to talk racing, and when I do catch them at the track the dinner and camp fire talk is as much fun as the riding.

18. pbgunrunner

pbgunrunner Active Member

Do you ever get back to Illinois? I have a buddy selling a nice gen1 sv with tse suspension, race body, extra wheels, LOTS of extra parts etc... For 2500 in Pekin, Il (near Peoria).

19. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Good choices in bikes