1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB: Endurance tank for 1G SV650

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by The H-man, Jul 24, 2008.

1. wendellcrain

wendellcrain Well-Known Member

Ehh well. MIG is what I've already got in my garage. The price was right.

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Yep and results are the bigger difference than the price...:)

It can be done with a MIG, and I can cut my grass with a pocket knife, and a blade of grass is almost the same thickness a modern day sportbike tank.

3. wendellcrain

I won't be out much if it doesn't work right. The cost of the metal to add to the tank. Any other suggestions (besides the TIG) about how to go about this?

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Cut the top off the tank....cut some pcs to add the desired amout of volume....tack them inplace....weld it up...check for leaks....(mig, you will have them) fix the leaks, your done...:)

If you do a good job the bodyman will be able to make it really nice with a spot of body filler, no bigger than a tennis ball and have some left over.
    Do a bad job and it will be a half a can and the tank will weight a ton...

5. wendellcrain

That sounds easy enough. If (when) I have the leaks, do you you just weld additional pieces to seal or something else?

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

You Weld the leaks shut.......you are already adding a piece of metal to expand the volume...I was refering to pin holes left as a result of starting and stopping the mig process...:)

Somehow I think your just pullin my chain....:Poke:

7. wendellcrain

Nope. I was being serious. You said there'd be leaks for sure using the MIG. I was guessing that the leak would be pin-hole sized. Wasn't sure if you try to weld a pin-hole. Sometimes I have trouble welding a straight piece. If I told you that I could weld worth a darn, then I'd be pulling your leg. I am being serious with these questions. I would like to try to build a larger tank to use on the track next year.

8. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Still interested in buying one :)

9. J. WILLOW

J. WILLOW Well-Known Member

wendell, save yourself the time and aggrevation. MIG welding a tank your never going to be able to control the heat that precisely to not burn through and get good penetration. Let Britt or Evan build you a tank, put a dry brake on and be done with it. Besides I don't know any dumpcan that works with stock gas cap that has more than 5.5 gal. capacity. I think Ghetto cares how long it takes to refuel their SV's. Not trying to discourage, just a realistic view from experienced welder.

10. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

:confused: Well, here's to hopin' you're not too late with those words for Wendell C. You do realize it's been at least a month and a-half since he posted his last words in this thread.

As for me, I'm hopin' to either buy an existing endur tank or get a 2nd tank on the cheap and convert it.

11. wendellcrain

No, I haven't been in a huge rush to build this yet. I may look around for a different welder first. I am sure if I ask enough people, someone I know has one and would either weld it or show me how.

12. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

How long do you guys plan on riding on one tank of fuel? I ask because my SV Superbike burned about 2.7 gallons per hour if that. I don't even know how much fuel the tank holds. I wonder if we could do 1 hour and 20 minutes on the stock tank.... hmmmmm... It didn't matter to us because we always swapped riders on the hour. You guys must be in good shape. :)

Good Luck

13. ex419

ex419 Well-Known Member

I've got four 2nd gen big tanks (dry break), all built by Britt.
    Buy 2 and get a free SV $5000

14. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Uhhh.... yeah. That's real clever and all :Poke:

Getting back to the original post for this thread, I am looking to buy an endurance tank for a 1st gen SV650.

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

16. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Britt - what is the thickness of a modern tank? Really, I'm curious.

0.015" ?

17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

They vary from .022-.028....I have found some as thin as .017 where it is stretched.

I find that if you don't have a seam tight and tack them at .5 spacing you end up chasing it to goet a good weld...it just takes alot of time to make it nice.

18. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Interesting, outside the box, offer RaceDad :up: Alas, it is just too rich a proposition for me. We're without much sponsorship support and were looking to score a large capacity tank (regular cap) in the area of $700 :eek:

19. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Ive got a 7 gallon tank with a fresh coat of pro black paint. It looks very nice, the welder did a poor job, so its pretty heavy as it took quite a bit of filler puddy to make it purty, I may consider selling. It does have a dry break ring welded in, and I am not intrested in selling our dry break set up. Let me know if your intrested.

edit: If you have access to a moderate to good welder im sure you could get a vortex cap/base to work.

20. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Ben, I haven't heard back from ya. Did you receive the PM I sent ya last week?