1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB: Aprillia RS250 near Washington, DC

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by grendels_arm, Jul 12, 2006.

1. grendels_arm

grendels_arm Sam Green Eggs and Ham

Looking for RS250 within a few hours of DC area. Looking for one all ready for the track, with spares, not needing top or bottom end anytime soon. Thanks

2. motopix

motopix Well-Known Member

Glad to see you're going to take the plunge. Good luck in your search. Don't be too shy about buying one outside the area and having it shipped.

3. grendels_arm

Yep I'm still looking. Hopefully before the end of the track season I'll find one. I see enough of em at track days that there's gotta be a few that'll eventually be up for sale.

4. mcracr

mcracr 2smoke racing 4 life!

try SpeedWerks in DE - http://www.speedwerks.com You should be able to make that roundtrip in a half-day when there's no major traffic on I95...

Scott

5. grendels_arm

yeah I looked already on their site for bikes for sale and didn't see any.

6. throttle

throttle Well-Known Member

We have one for sale. Email us, we can talk out the details about transport and a fresh top end.

7. ism409

ism409 Well-Known Member

I have one in NJ.. It is pretty much stock. It starts right up and runs great .. It could probably use a top end at some point soon.
    [email protected]

8. grendels_arm

Interested. EMail and PM sent

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  9. motopix

OMG, no you di-n't.

:beer:

10. ism409

ism409 Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff..
    yeah well since I wont be riding for a while I would rather it be ridden then just sit there...The bike is in good shape and tons of fun :up:

11. grendels_arm

12. ism409

ism409 Well-Known Member

I sent you an email :)

13. motopix

That cool. I understand. Hopefully you'll come back and buy another or a GP bike once things settle in with the baby.

:beer:

Or you can buy my TZ250!

14. grendels_arm

ISM,

I left out the l in hotmail.com so it I didn't get the email.

[email protected]

15. ism409

ism409 Well-Known Member

I replied directly to the email you sent me..
    anyway I sent you 2 pm's

16. 999

999 Well-Known Member

Did grendels_arm buy it?

17. grendels_arm

Yep, my search is over. I bought it. Been doing research and looking off and on since late last year. Thanks ism409.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  18. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I raced mine for the first time today and f**k it is a fun ride. There is absolutely no comparison to the SV's I have been racing. I have lost about 2 seconds off my lap times but it is coming back slowly.

I have NEVER been able to enter corners that deep before.

Now if I could just figure out how to keep that engine on the boil and above 9K.

19. grendels_arm

So you like your RS better on the track? What makes it possible for you to enter corners that much deeper?

20. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I would assume it is the lighter weight and less reciprocating mass. Plus, I am beginning to see that my usual tactic of passing on the inside on the brakes is useless against the SV's because they just motor back past me on the exit using their torque. Once I started passing on the outside, going wider than normal to keep up the corner speed, I was golden.

I do like the RS much better than my SV's. It is much more difficult to ride fast and starting is much harder. My first race on it (F2) I was on the front row and got meatballed for jumping the start. The second race (clubman) was much better and I got 2nd (although that was easy as the RS should not be in clubman).

The bike is fantastic. I am getting all the pleasure of owning a two stroke with a lot less headaches. No rejetting, no needle movineg, no taping the radiator.

The downside: My first race weekend on it a month ago was a disaster. I grenaded the transmission, breaking the third gear output, and the engagement dog on 5th gear. The transmission was a mess. It took 44 parts and $1100 to get it corrected. Getting parts from Aprilia is really tough due to backorder issues. AF1 ended up combining parts from three different transmissions plus new parts to put everything together in time to race at Hallet yesterday. I have to say thanks to Motopix for selling me one of the units.

All that being said, this bike is still the shit to me.