1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB '09-'12 Zx6r shock

Discussion in 'Wanted to buy or trade' started by duc995, Feb 18, 2017.

1. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Looking for aftermarket goodies. Let me know what you've got! Thanks...

2. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

There's a guy on here selling a bunch off a 2008, including a TTX shock which I'm pretty sure they are the same as for the '09-'12

3. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Thanks. I saw that. But the part #'s are different when I look up shocks for the '08 vs the '09-'12. I'm not sure what the differences would be and how to get that kind of info.

4. sbk1198

They look about the same. This is out of the Ohlins catalog. The only difference is the last letter which implies integrated preload adjuster vs remote mount adjuster. Which doesn't really matter. In fact the one I have on my '09 is not the PN in that catalog since I have one with remote adjuster, and the reservoir is attached. The lenghts look to be almost identical but they're adjustable, so I'm betting it fits. Someone on the ZX6R forum had one from an older gen (either 05/06 or 07/08) and said it bolts right in on his new gen zx6r.

If nothing else, ask the seller for the part number so you can check it.

Attached Files:

5. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Thanks for that. The one thing I have read that can be different between generations is the width of the mounting points on the shock/bike; so it could require a different clevis. Other than that I agree the specs are damn close. The other thing I am wondering about is the cost to refresh/revalve/respring a used shock. That cost may make a good price on a new shock pretty close ...

6. sbk1198

True. If it is different, the cost will depend on if it's too narrow or too wide. One option means new clevis, the other option means a couple of spacers that you can get for like $2. Really though, if you're the same duc995 as the one on the zx6r forum, talk to MFChop. He's gone through this and I'm sure he can enlighten you on the matter.

From past experience, a complete refresh cost me $200 at an Ohlins certified shop. That price seems to be similar to other places I've seen or heard from other people, within about $20. A spring is like $100 or so, unless you get lucky and find some used one that's the right kind you need. I literally just went through all of this in the last few days as I ordered a TTX spring and a pair of Ohlins cartridge springs for my zx6r. I've learned more about Ohlins shock springs in the last few days than I ever knew before LOL. How much you weigh? Maybe my current spring will suit you much better. Not sure who set up the bike for the previous owner of my zx6r, but the forks are slightly too soft and the shock is too stiff.

You might get lucky to find a shock that has the right spring for you which will save you some money, but you might not. You also might get lucky to find a well priced one. A couple of years ago I bought a TTX shock for my old Ducati 1198 from a guy for $500. So even with the service and new spring it cost me $800 which was way better than $1400 or whatever they were brand new.

7. Dimitry Louis

Dimitry Louis Sabotage

The 08 and 09 rear shock are interchangeable. I have an 08 Racetech on my 09... Fits like a glove..

8. Dimitry Louis

Dimitry Louis Sabotage

Refresh with spring and dyno from Daughterly cost me something like $250