1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK Front Brake

Discussion in 'General' started by onepusher, Feb 19, 2015.

1. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

What is this extra cable going to the front brake area below the caliper?

[​IMG]

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Probably a wheel speed sensor?

3. Fent

Fent I'm Registered??

Wheel Speed Sensor as Papa said.. You can see the magnets on the brake rotors above the rotor "T" drive points...

Interesting I thought they would have used an actual tone wheel with more pick up points...

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

What's interesting is it looks like it T's off behind the caliper first. I wonder if that's just a bracket to hold the wire or if its 2 separate sensor wires. One for wheel speed and another for brake pressure. I generally though brake pressure sensors were located near the master cylinder though???

5. onepusher

I was hoping for a more elaborate answer or some kind of new motorcycle technology. But you're probably correct about the speed sensor.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

brake camera :D

7. onepusher

I would guess that's a quick disconnect for the sensor.

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

no, for reals: i don't think it's a wss, since there are only 8 legs to pick up a signal.
    typical abs rings have like 42 or so. might be an infrared temperature sensor.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's an Aprilia RSV4, not a WSS bike. Haslam is riding the bike this year. I'm pretty sure those guys don't use any kind of ABS. Its a wheel speed sensor for traction control more likely. I don't think they would be monitoring the temperature of the rotor carrier (sensor looks like its mounted too far inward) unless its aimed outward to the steel area on the rotor.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, but still , TC systems use the ABS rings. even at higher speeds, i'd guess they'd be too coarse with just 8 signals (assuming the star will transfer and not the holes in the disc) per revolution.

but TC is the most likely case, i agree.

and / but:

it's on both sides? (2014 here)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  11. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

In a somewhat related manner, was there a thread on the EBR bike for Canepa using a dual rotor setup?

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yes. The Phillip island test.

13. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

Possibly redundant in case one fails?

14. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Or your teammate comes along and knocks one off :D

15. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Just saw a post on facetubes that Can was 1.4 seconds or so off fast time. Photo showed a standard Ohlins with dual disks. Peegravel got a stomach bug and couldn't finish the test.

16. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I think maybe the sensor is to turn on the headlights. You know, the bike must be rolling to turn them on so you don't run the battery down.

17. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

If you look at it a while. You'll notice it's over the rotor itself, it's a temp sensor. Not enough pickup points for a proper speed sensor.

Looking at the rotor, it has a lot of heat marks at the T-Drive point. They probably overheat.

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

so what do they do then? not brake any more? go slower?

19. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

winner, for a speed signal you need a reluctor ring with more pickup points than the T pieces

20. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Change pad compounds