1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK 2014 | Magny-Cours, France

Discussion in 'General' started by socalrider, Oct 3, 2014.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Spoken like a man who's never lost a world championship by 0.5 point. :D

2. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I have to wonder, would anyone blame Milandri for not letting Guinters by if Melandri gets a race win bonus?

3. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

Until he single handedly developed that bike into what it is now.
    that's what 2010 was development year. So was 2011 but if you remember, he would do great in superpole but would fail to finish races well because the bike would go through the rear tire...which they fixed in 2012.

can you imagine how hard it would be to develop a bike yourself ? how many times you would second guess yourself if its the right direction to go or not ? no teammate data, no one to say "yes it feels the same way to me"

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I meant no disrespect of Sykes at all. He is an excellent racer and anyone that can win a world championship as competitive as WSBK is among the best of the best. Just refuting that he was nowhere until he went to Kawi, which really isn't the case. 2nd in BSB (along with a bunch of other years in the top 6 in points), 9th in a rookie WSBK season on the Yamaha that Spies admitted was not exactly an ideal SBK weapon, all count as positives to me. Along with developing the Kawi of course.

5. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

yup, i think he surprised a lot of people with the whole kawasaki development and then winning superpole and then the races.
    :up::Pop:

6. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

While I intended no disrespect to Mr. Sykes either, the point was not to be centered around Mr. Sykes but that of Jonathan Rea. While Rea has not won a championship, he was twice runner up (once is BSB and once in SSTK)and has been on a Honda his entire career. I would like to find someone who thinks the blade is competitive in WSBK?

The point is Rea has been on less than Stellar equipment during his tenure in WSBK, and putting him on a competitive bike may in fact make him truly competitive, just like it did for Sykes. He's been over-riding the Honda for years now, I'm interested in seeing what he can do when he doesn't have to over-ride the bike to stay at the front.

turbulence likes this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yep, should be fun, but I would necessarily look for Rea to dominate. The Honda is more of a handling bike. The Kawi seems to work a little better with stop, point and shoot, so we will see how Rea adapts or if Rea can get the Kawi set up to handle really well. If the latter then everyone better look out.

8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Ahem.

Is he still overrated?

turbulence likes this.
  9. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Yes. I'll remain skeptical until midseason...

turbulence likes this.
  10. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

:clap::beer::D

rocalotopus and turbulence like this.
  11. Knotcher

Like after he wins the title midseason?

12. The Great One

Pretty much. :up:

There's no other way to describe his performance other than complete domination. Rea rode that bike like he had a point to prove every time he threw a leg over. I really thought Sykes would have been able to put up a better fight but for that we'll have to look to next year.

13. The Great One

Although, I wouldn't really call round 11 of 13 "midseason" ;)

14. Knotcher

I'm just here gloating.

15. The Great One

No worries. I 'll gladly eat my words from early on about Rea :up:

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, you're trenching his lawn and putting flaming bags of shit on his front stoop. :D

17. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Man, I lost a little more respect for Sykes after the 2015 round race 1. He complains about the pass Rea put on him which was aggressive but totally clean. Meanwhile Sykes put a very hard pass on Rea after his 1st pass attempt and has done that all year. Seems like Sykes simply thinks his teammate whether Baz or Rea shouldn't ever pass him. I really don't know what he's thinking.....he goes out, builds a 4 second lead....burns his tires up.....can see the gap evaporating and then seems shocked he gets passed....try something else dude cause your current battle plan ain't working! And if you stuff your teammate please quit bitching when the tables are turned

18. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Haha, thought that myself when watching the race last night

19. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

kawi had nothing for the aprilia bikes at the last round, even today they are still competative considering that nothing has been done to the bikes since that last round a year ago, its a shame, motogp took all the money out of the program, no shiny new bits at all this year

i'm sure they will never bring melandri back, but they should have kept him in sbk in the first place

20. Knotcher

There is some gold in this thread.

70 races in a row with the points lead.

The Great One and masshole like this.