1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK 2014 | Magny-Cours, France

Discussion in 'General' started by socalrider, Oct 3, 2014.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:stupid:
    I never understood the hype.

turbulence likes this.
  2. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

You guys must know something I don't as the only thing I see is a guy busting his ass off pushing dated machinery to try and finish up front.

I don't think he is the second coming but I believe he is better than what his results at Honda have shown.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That doesn't mean he's not overrated. You can beat the best in the world and still be overrated if people think you're God. :D

My assessment is based on comparing what's been written and said about him since he got on the world stage to his actual results. His bike wasn't always obsolete.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was thinking Rea won Honda a bunch of Suzuka 8 hours and that was his ju ju but he only has one win in 2012.

Haslam won the last two and that doesn't seem to be the magic with Honda it used to be.

5. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

what did you think of his results on the MotoGP honda when he was guest riding for an injured Casey Stoner? i thought they were respectable given the new tires and machine. just my opinion.

6. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

fair enough. I seem to remember Sykes was a nobody (relatively speaking ) until he rode for Kawi.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Very solid performance. But again, "overrated" is not a criticism of his performance. It's about the mismatch between what people say about him and his performance.

8. socalrider

i hear what you are saying. i just needed to read it multiple times to get it through my thick skull haha.

either way, im looking forward to next season to see what goes on in WSBK. maybe the EBR will start making the top 15? :D

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

He was a WSBK rookie for one year on the factory Yamaha before going to Kawi. A rookie and learning the tracks, so yeah, he didn't set the world on fire.

He didn't set the world on fire right away on the Kawi either. No wins in 2010, 1 win in 2011. In 2012 he really took off and has been on a tear ever since. I am guessing Rea will do fine, but probably won't be dominating his first year on the Kawi, but with the new rules next year, who knows for sure what will happen and who will adapt to the rules the best.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

well i think they were getting the bike sorted in the early years. Remember where the ZX-10R was and where it is now.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He had the speed in 2010 and 2011. The bike couldn't finish races on its early pace. Tires seemed to only last through the first half of the race. A lot like the BMW back then.

12. socalrider

yep, the backward fade midway through the race plagued them the Kawi for a season and a half. Tom was still racking up Poles though due.

since i didnt get the eurosport broadcast, anyone got any more info on his beef with Rea? it wasnt mentioned on the beIn broadcast.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

Speaking of BMW, I guess Corser is gonna have a team next year? Josh Brookes being in the mix as a possible rider.

14. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I don't know how far it might go back but I know this year at Portimao Sykes was interviewed and asked how he liked the track. He complained about it being too hilly or something. A lot of the guys gave him shit on social media about it, including Rea. There might be more to it but I know Sykes wasn't happy about it.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:up:

16. In the post race interview, Melandri said that giving Guintoli the double would have been disrespectful to his own personal sponsors. :D

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

i saw that...and you know what...he's right.

He has his own sponsors to worry about also, so 1/2 is fair. And as many has said it's a rider's championship so the best rider should win it.

18. Yea. I'm definitely not a fan of team orders.

19. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Sykes had a chance to go down in history as a WSBK immortal. Imagine if he had not taken that place from Baz. Finished fourth, then gotten in front of a microphone and said, "We don't care what the girls from Aprilia are doing. We're going to win this championship the old-fashioned way. By kicking everyone's asses. See you in three weeks." The entire motorcycle universe would be bleeding green.

rocalotopus likes this.
  20. That would have been great!