1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WRX, Focus ST or Alternative?

Discussion in 'General' started by C-Par, Oct 21, 2017.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I didn't find this to be the case with the 2018 model I tried.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Still meh. The prices on these things are insane compared to what the GTI is going for. Granted the Subaru does have a high resale value. I also heard the WRX has a lot of ring failures, not sure how true that is.

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

AWD>FWD. They are more expensive than the GTI, but it's a completely different animal. However, I do like what the GTI offers for the money.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

The '18 WRX with performance package is quite a bit faster than the '17 was. I like them, but I don't like the boy racer look either. The GTI is a bit less of that image. But yeah, can't go wrong with a WRX, well unless you blow the engine.

5. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Man I'm all over the place. With further research I decided the Subaru Route. The resale value is great and I do like the AWD. I also prefer Japnese mfg.

So I started going for a 2015 WRX Used, there were a few at low $20ks. Then an 2015 STI popped up with 9K miles for $25K. That went very fast of course.
    Whats the hype with the STI? Gotta try that. So there is a local one they wanted $29k. I decided to try it and I liked it. The only thing that bums me out is the older power plant - Good and Bad.
    I don't like the fact I need to do a timing belt at 100k.

So I offer 27K OTD. I get an email saying we will do 27,9K so OK I'm game. After the d*ick around they bring me an invoice of $30k+. No way that is close to new STI range.

There was another dealer that baited me in with a $19K STI launch advertisement, come to find out somebody screwed up, its actually $27.9K.

OK i'm done with STI searches for now.................................

Then I get the idea of going for a hatchback 09 STI. So I drive 2.5 hours to NJ to look at one that looks clean, Come to find out its been tuned , no CAT, tuning feels off. No way.
    Then I find an add for a 10 hatchback closer in VA, so I wrangle the kids and head by Dulles airport. Man these dealers in that area know how to turn over used cars. Seems like an industry there.
    Well that car was also tuned, smoked a tad, had dents and scratches, not as clean as the advertisement.

Man 2 for 2 for roached out hatchbacks. .............................................

Meanwhile all the ford dealers are begging me....................

My goal is to find a clean non roached STI hatchback for under $20K, Is that hard?
    If I can find a 2015+ STI with less than 50K for $25 K, I'm game

Then is that gets tough hopefully a 15+ WRX limited or premium for under $22K.

Choice 1 Clean STI, Choice 2 is WRX.

We'll see.

6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

A short block for an Sti is super cheap! If you find the right place they can do a swap quickly and for not too much cash. Buy one, drive it, if it blows up then you can fix it for a lot less than you think.

7. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I’m still in a 00 gti and it’s been a good car to me. Currently 206,000 miles and runs great. But it’s also the vr6. Keep a set of good timing chains in em and there a solid motor. It’s just a fun little car to drive.

8. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

The WRX performance package includes Recaro seats, different brake pads, and sunroof delete. What am I missing?

9. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Bought a like new 2014 hatchback (went specifically to the 14 for that) WRX last year. Absolutely love it-but it is hard to find one that isn’t roached. Went and looked at one local to me that smelled like a goats ass and looked like the dude was living in it. Uh, no thank you.

10. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Looks like you found that unicorn. These freaking used car dealers I have been around lately are, I don't want to say sketchy, but not like dealing with OEM larger dealers. Seems like they just detail the car and just push to sell.

I do like the hatchback.

From what I see the shortblocks seem to be around $900-$1500.

11. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

I tried to sell my 2013 WRX STI for a couple of months, to no avail. Sold it to Carmax Friday for $22,278...super clean one owner with 50,000 miles. Hated to see it go, but needed the money for the business.

BigBird likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

MotoGP69 likes this.
  13. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Just got my WRX a few weeks ago. Fantastic car.

14. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

The wife decided on the Honda Civic SI.

Canadian Bacon, cha0s#242 and BigBird like this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

Great car, and one that you can get a good deal on currently.

16. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

We had decided to just wait due to my current work schedule.... Till they made an offer I couldn't pass up.... Invoice minus hold back... The only thing she lost was a CD player. Seems new cars have USB, AUX, Bluetooth, and XM radio. She got her manual, turbo, sunroof, heated seats, and 4 doors.....

BigBird likes this.
  17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

A Honda with a turbo? Wow.

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I just can't get past the styling on the new Civics.......those gigantic black "holes" of solid plastic on the front/rear are just awful......

lee955i and KrooklynSV like this.
  19. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

For the first time in my life we're looking at a new vehicle. Always bought used sub 10k until now. I'm perfectly happy in my nearly 30 year old $1,500 Isuzu Trooper and the 07 Chevy van for trips. We need a good daily that the girlfriend can use and i dont have to worry about. Gonna pick up a new Crosstrek it looks like. Used car prices are crazy. The Subie is a great car, it'll be slow as molasses but prob a good solid vehicle. Wrx would be badass though :) Had an 02 wrx wagon years ago, awesome car.

20. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Been driving my 17 WRX for a year now, no complaints. Not really a car guy, but it's fun to drive.
    Just put the snow tires on it today, holy crap going to have to get used to them again.