1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writeup: GSXR 600 clutch switch bypass relay mod w/ pics

Discussion in 'Tech' started by m0rtal1ty, Apr 18, 2010.

1. skee

skee # 358

Is this also applicable to a 06 GSXR 1000?

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

^if you still have the left side control pod and the switch just yank all the horn/light wires and don't worry about it.

3. slickp12

slickp12 Well-Known Member

also does this apply to 08 750? thanks

4. Dobri

Dobri New Member

Guys I did the relay mod on my bike and its all fine,starts fine etc., BUT now my TRE is not working. I have a static TRE with a switch and now when TRE is ON rpm's doesnt drop like before. I disconnect the relay and TRE is working -rpm's drop when TRE is on and raise when clutch is engage..Is that normal? This let me think that the relay work not only when starter buton is depressed but when bike is running..? Is that supposed to be like that ? Thank you

5. m0rtal1ty

m0rtal1ty rolling chicane

This is some unintended behavior; the relay only bridges the clutch wires when the starter button is depressed. All other times, the ECU thinks the clutch is engaged. What TRE are you using?

6. Dobri

Dobri New Member

http://www.bugmanweb.com/gsxr/tre.html
    I made it using this guy's instructions. Its working fine,but when I made the relay mod I noticed the difference-when the clutch is engaged the rpm's doesnt drop as they are supposed if TRE is on. If I disconnect the relay Everything works fine...

7. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

+1000 just unplug conector under air box,eliminate all wires except clutch switch wires,plug conector back in and remove pod from left handlebar!Secure two clutch switch wires to handlebar and that's it!I like stuff done simple if possible!
    If you want to do it per OP instructions by all mean!(GOOD WRITE UP);)

8. m0rtal1ty

I've looked over the site but haven't come up with a solution on this one; I'm not seeing the correlation. At any rate I would not use a home made TRE on any bike. This one in particular has too many points of failure.

9. m0rtal1ty

Thank you! More techie writeups are on the way once time presents itself; I need to stop working on things without documenting them, partly so you guys can see but mostly so I don't forget them ;) This mod has been working without issue for going on 3 years now, and I've kept the stock left control pod to interface with the EMPro.

10. v3nt0

v3nt0 Member

GSXR 1000 K9 safe clutch question

Hi m0rtal1ty !!

I have a GSXR 1000 K9 model and I wanted to install an Easy Pull Clutch, like RSC or Moose levers, however these levers don't support the Safe Clutch System which is attached to the OEM clutch lever/perch.

I have to confess that I don't have the proper skills to do what you have explained here, so I was thinking in a "dummy way" to fix this issue. What if I install a "Fly Racing Billet Kill Switch" and then connect the safe clutch wires on this switch?
    When the bike starts I would just push both buttons, the start button + the Fly Racing Billet button together and then release it, so the ECU won't be reading the Neutral map all the time.

I have no problems on pushing 2 buttons together to start the bike, I just wanted to get rid of my OEM lever/perch and install an Easy Pull Clutch lever.

My question is, does anyone know if these Fly Racing Billet Kill Switches can be used for this type of thing ??

any help will be great !!

11. m0rtal1ty

^Good question; a kill switch can be used to bridge the clutch wires momentarily to start the bike in its normal, full-performance mode. However, I feel using this additional switch when starting the bike is too non-standard and too easy to forget when you're in a tight spot during a race or if another rider pilots the bike. The rider will have a bad time if the bike is started in its reduced performance map and it takes them a little while to realize this.

12. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Slight tangent: anyone know if the stock GSXR clutch switch is normally-closed, or normally-open?

13. v3nt0

v3nt0 Member

theJrod,
    I'm not an expert on these technical stuffs but I think it's normally-open... if you just connect both wires together, the bike will start with no issues, but if you keep them connected during the ride, the ECU will read the bike is always in Neutral and you loose power.

m0rtal1ty, I installed a momentary push button on mine and it is working fine... although it's gonna be a pain in the ass if the bike stalls during the ride and specially if the bike is running on a higher gear, like 5th or 6th... I would have to downshift every gear till I get Neutral and then start the bike pushing the start button + the switch button. Too much time if you are in a race or if police is chasing you... ROFL.

Now, I just need to find a good spot to attach this little bad boy... I was wondering if I can install it underneath the RSC lever but since I haven't received it yet I'm not sure if it's gonna fit there. Any suggestions? :D

14. fieryjack

fieryjack Member

Just did this mod. Seems to work great and took me all of 45 minutes after shopping for the bits.

The original write up is superb. Thanks OP.

15. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

For future REF, Momentary switch is a bad idea if you break left side rearset in a crash during a race or anywhere, So while you are stuck on the side of the track in harms way with a broken shift side rearset, you are un-able to hold momentary switch + clutch pulled in (you crashed in 3rd gear and rearset snapped) + hit start button. For those of you with three hands, Ignore this post.

Thank you.

16. histamineblkr

histamineblkr New Member

As an update, this configuration does not work with a 2011 GSXR75. This specific relay has a drop out of >=1.2v and a pick up of <=7.2v. On my starter wire when the bike is running it has roughly 3.5v on that wire creating an always closed switch and therefore leading to the limp fuel map. This could be a specific problem to my bike, however I doubt it since I bought this bike with 300 miles on it and it had almost nothing done to it other then a windscreen and fender eliminator kit. If it is getting its volts back fed from somewhere else I'd be surprised and wouldn't even be sure where to start to trace that... Seems to me if I could find an automotive relay with a drop out of 5v and a Pick up of 10v I'd be golden.

Any suggestions would be appreciated since this configuration seems to work for many people here.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  17. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

great write up..

18. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Do you still have the pics for this?

19. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

I don't think this works on the 2011+ models of GSXR, :(

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

No it dosent.... As said already a cople times just keep the wires on the clutch switch and eliminate everything else...I have all my suzukis set up this way... No relays.. No power loss concerns ect....just keep the clutch wires..