1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writeup: GSXR 600 clutch switch bypass relay mod w/ pics

Discussion in 'Tech' started by m0rtal1ty, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Z3n

Z3n Active Member

Just did this, thanks for the write up!

2. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

What do you mean by limp map when the clutch is pulled in? Is this like the TRE thing?

3. keller34

keller34 Member

Awesome write up. Just got done with mine works perfect and a clean solution!!

4. Z3n

Z3n Active Member

Warning: Make sure you use a quality relay here, as mine wasn't vibration resistant enough and I was going into limp mode anyways.

5. deanozx10r

deanozx10r Crashin Sucks!!

I did this and it didnt work so I started poking around to what happened. I read through the direction twice and everything is right. So I pulled the connection apart from the kill switch everything from there was fine. Pulled the kill switch it self all apart still nothing. I can get the bike started if I jump all the wires on the starter button. When the ignition is on and the kill switch is on the bike should run. Now when I go from on to off with kill nothing happens. I dont know I put grease in the kill switch connection maybe that fried something in the button. Im stumped here HELP PLEASE!!!

6. m0rtal1ty

m0rtal1ty rolling chicane

I'm trying to see the problem through your eyes and may need a little more info. If there is access to a multimeter I would see where voltage is and how much; check out the last paragraph in the writeup. Also, if the relay is bypassed, does it start? The relay can be bypassed by grounding the black/yellow clutch wire to ground to close the circuit. I would try that to troubleshoot the relay then I would start putting wires back to their original location to troubleshoot the setup. If everything is back to stock and it still doesn't work then likely there is a faulty switch involved. Let me know what you come up with!

7. m0rtal1ty

That's correct; a relay is essentially a mechanical switch and its important to use a quality automotive relay that can withstand temperature changes, shock, vibration, and have some self-cleaning capability. My Radioshack-sourced setup is going on 2 years old and I haven't had any issues. Since relays are so inexpensive its a good idea to grab a second for a spare in the event the first one fails at an inopportune time.

8. deanozx10r

Im thinking its more of a faulty switch. But I did cut and splice in the BL and YG wires to my relay, not sure if cutting them would do that. I did everything in your directions to the T. Checking everything twice like said, I disasembled everything and put it back from when it ran the other day and still nothing. I got it to start and run by jumping all the wires on the starter button with the relay mod intact. I have a 03 bandit, I'll see if the kill switch is the same and throw that on there to see. If that works then I'll get one from ebay.

9. deanozx10r

My kill switch was bad so I elimanated it and everything now works awesome!!! Thanks for the kickass write up!!!!:beer:

10. dtprb

dtprb New Member

I got an 04 gsxr 750. Bought it used and the clutch switch is on the bike but no wires run to it.can't find the wires that are supposed to run to it. Any ideas how i fix this? Thanks

11. dtprb

dtprb New Member

Sorry to bring back such an old thread

12. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Holy shit THANK YOU.........

13. m0rtal1ty

The '04-05 setup is likely identical to the '06-07; the left control pod which houses the turn signals, horn, etc. has two wires coming from it (black/yellow stripe, and black/white stripe) with a small plug at the end which goes to the clutch switch. If these wires are missing they may have been cut at some point; hopefully there will be some amount of wire left in the control pod that can be lengthened and connected to the clutch switch. I have mine zip tied out of the way in case I wanted to use the clutch switch again.

Here's what a complete control pod looks like:
    [​IMG]

Let me know if this helps!

14. GECCO

GECCO Runs with scissors

How different is this "limp mode" map? Are we talking a serious, noticeable power loss, or just a few ponies?

15. m0rtal1ty

If I recall the dyno chart I came across a few years ago its something like a 10% decrease in power due to a reduced redline and probably some fuel/timing changes as well. This limp mode is very common in both bikes and cars and its specifics vary between manufacturers so I may have it confused.

16. dtprb

dtprb New Member

I'll try to take some better pics tonight of what I have. The bike starts though without the clutch pulled in so the wires have to be grounded somewhere i'm guessing. Does the big plug in the barswitch set plug in behind the guages?

17. dtprb

dtprb New Member

Instead of searching all over for where these were hacked together, can i just cut the wire from the clutch switch to the starter relay, and tap into the starter button wire and install the relay? After looking at the diagram this seems like it should work, but i'm not an electrician.

18. m0rtal1ty

As long as there is no continuity between the black/white and black/yellow clutch switch wires then you're good to go. This can be checked with a multimeter at the yellow connector for the left control pod.

19. blaidaz

blaidaz New Member

so i have ben looking all over for how to wire up the relay stock and can not find it any were min has pulled loose and im stumped on were the wires atach any one able to help me out here. you can respond here or call me at 928-852-0423 id love to get going this weekend

20. ride4lame

ride4lame Well-Known Member

Does an '05 600 also have this limp mode? I was planning on just wiring the clutch wires together...