1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this helmet pass tech.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Aug 17, 2019.

1. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

If the scuffs were on the top then I'd say no way I'd wear it, street or track. On the chin and the obvious minor scuffs, I wouldn't have a second thought. Maybe bring it with you to the next race and ask the folks in the tower of power?

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Man.... Antonio Brown wouldn't even wear that lid.

How much is your brain worth to you? o_O

ToofPic and Mot Okstef like this.
  3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Man, you guys must be swimming in money to replace a helmet for a few minor scuffs. If it barely scuffs the paint off, let alone dig through the poly i can't imagine any kind of impact being imparted, unless i just am missing what the hell is in the picture.

4. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

You gotta remember these guys have debates about which Porsche they should buy:Poke:

Murcielago311 and The.Johnner like this.
  5. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Totally depends on how ya fall. My dad was doing about 35 when he crashed my little brothers gsxr. He is no longer with us. RIP Dad.

6. It’s not logic with newton but you also have to know how to apply his laws correctly.

7. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Idk about your brand but you can send back your helmet to Arai to get “inspected”. My paint chips failed inspection.

8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Yet..You can have a cherry lid with zero marks and it will fail tech if its over 5yo. I dont get it?:confused:

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Look. It’s Amurica! You know business models to remove capital from your wallet . . . or murse.

10. condon66

condon66 Member well known

If you drop a 5 pound ball 5 ft onto a stationary scale and note the force measured by the scale, and then drop the same ball at 100 mph forward speed onto a scale, the force measured by the scale will be exactly the same is what he's saying. So, you're only correct if you're placing the scale in direct line with the forward direction of the ball.

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Of course it would. Its a win win for them, new lid and no liability.

12. Exactly. There are so many factors in a crash, like you stated as an example. Angle of impact, almost as important cog of the person at impact, the list goes on and on. We do all kinds of this stuff during crash investigations so I can say the small things I stated are a very small part of the larger picture. The one that will shock most is the surface friction at impact as I don’t think there’s ever been a crash that’s 100% vertical.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

This was all debunked by the Hurst report maybe 30 years ago. Unless you run into a perpendicular object like a curb, most of the impact is caused by the vertical impact with the road. That's why falling off a bicycle is as dangerous as a MC. The way to think of it is...picture standing up, tying your hands behind your back and falling forward onto your head. He (Dr. Hurst) didn't evaluate rotational damage so you also need to consider that.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's not wrong because the physics don't change and horizontal momentum has nothing to do with vertical momentum when tumbling. They can work together against you sure but they can also be doing totally different things at the same time. A highside and landing on your head won't be any more of an impact doing 100 than flying over a car and landing on your head at 20, it is the mass of you and the acceleration of gravity (dissipated some by your horizontal motion).

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The main thing in a helmet that saves your life is the polystyrene liner, that breaks down with age.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTW - that helmet looks fine, if the scuffs don't got through the gel coat it'll pass.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've seen Arai send back many helmets saying they're still good. They don't play that game.

stk0308 and BigBird like this.
  18. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Only expect to get P5-P7 with that helmet :p

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

:mad::(

20. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Only if worn, according to Snell :D