1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would racing be a good idea for me?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by periodic, May 15, 2022.

1. periodic

periodic Well-Known Member

I've been to two track days ever at Road Atlanta and the first time I rode on my 2019 ninja ZX6R, the second time I bought a 2009 R6 set up for the track from a user on here. I realized that starting on the 600 I couldn't learn as much and as well as I probably could on a smaller bike. So I sold the r6 and I now have a 2018 R3.

I haven't ridden the R3 on the track, but I am eager to ride and learn. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to come out to WERA Cycle Jam at Road Atlanta on the 27-29th of this month and get into "racing"?

(I know i'll have to take the class and see if I am ready to get my license, that's why racing is in quotation marks)

On the r6 my fastest lap times were on my last session were about a 2:10 avg, and when I started the day I was at a 2:36 avg.

Am I too inexperienced or would me attending be a good idea for me? I want to progress, would this help me progress?

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Prep the R3 and race.

jd41, periodic and tempestm like this.
  3. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Step off that curb , your gonna be just fine racing that R3 at RA , while you may not podium you will have a great time and get a feel for the race pace .

periodic and tempestm like this.
  4. Sudowoodo

Sudowoodo Error 404: Skill not found

Do it! My first race weekend will be at barber in July, so maybe I'll see you at that one if you get bit by the bug. I'm on an R3 as well so we'll be in the same classes.

periodic and William Schneider like this.
  5. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Racing motorcycles is having a Psycho girlfriend. She's gonna alienate some friends, steal your wallet, and probably punch you in the face at some point, but oh boy... the times in the sack is worth it.

You ready for that? Then you're ready to race.

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

yes

periodic, mpusch and Sudowoodo like this.
  7. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

If you haven't figured it out yet, the answer to the question "Am I ready to race?" is more about lifestyle and commitment (time and finances) than your actual riding ability...

periodic and stangmx13 like this.
  8. Sudowoodo

Sudowoodo Error 404: Skill not found

Is this KTM's new full length slogan?

9. Buell1965

Just maintain your line and dont get all squirlley . your job is to have fun and not get ran over ...thats what i did and learn your flags and every corner worker is keeping you safe .

periodic likes this.
  10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Nobody here is going to talk you out of it.

periodic and flewid like this.
  11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

My first race weekend was a "Oh what the hell Why NOT!?" decision because the Friday track day at Nelson Ledges rained out.
    Endurance was Saturday, sprints on Sunday. I put Yellow painters tape on the front of my bike, wrote the numbers on with a Sharpee,
    and I had ZERO experience at Nelson on any bike but about a total of 20 or so laps on a mini/Ohvale. Had a FUCKING BLAST!!!!!

periodic likes this.
  12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

The answer is hell yeah!!

periodic likes this.
  13. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

my first race weekend was because I was stuck at the slow end of the advanced group and wanted to get quicker. after my first partial season I had dropped 5s a lap at my home track and was placing 4/5th in races from starting 14th at the back

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

OK I'll pile on to what others have said - hold your lines, don't make sudden/unexpected swerves/etc, and don't worry a bit about your pace the first weekend. Especially in small bore novice classes, this is where people are supposed to start racing and kudos to you for realizing the smaller bike is a much better way to learn how to ride well. Don't put too much pressure on yourself or it'll ruin a good time. Just treat it as a 'competitive track day' - for all of us not aspiring to make a living roadracing, in the end the actual results aren't important - its all about having a good time.

Phl218, Buell1965 and Sudowoodo like this.
  15. Buell1965

Up date sir if you will . Did you make and how did it go ? , if you ran in light wts i was prolly on track with you at some point . cheers

flewid likes this.