1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World SBK Round 07 - Acerbis UK Round | May 27 - 29

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, May 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

[​IMG]

Circuit Information:
    Length: 4.023 Km
    Pole position: Left
    Corners: 12
    Left corners: 5
    Right corners: 7
    Corner radius: 10
    Max slope: 8%
    Start/finish straight: 550 m

From the World SBK site:
    1988 – Donington was the stage of the birth of the Championship, back in 1988: Davide Tardozzi (Bimota) and Marco Lucchinelli (Ducati) split wins on the 3rd of April.

163 – Last year’s races were the fastest ever at Donington, the only ones with an average speed of more than 163 kph (163.297 kph in Race 1, 163.876 kph in Race 2).

50 – Ducati have amassed 50 podium finishes in the 46 races held so far at Donington.

46 – In 46 races run at Donington, 46 different riders have climbed on the podium.

16 – British riders have won 16 races here and they are currently unbeaten in the last seven: Race 2 in 2012 was won by Rea, prefacing a string of six for Tom Sykes.

15 – Ducati have started from pole 15 times at Donington: all their rivals combined have done so 8 times.

13 – Troy Corser climbed on the podium 13 times here, the record for the track: next up is Carl Fogarty with 11 and then Tom Sykes at 9.

9 – Tom Sykes has exactly three times the Donington podiums (9) of his best current competitors: Guintoli and Rea (3 each).

9 – Last year Tom Sykes nearly beat the largest winning margin for a win at Donington, when he crossed the line with a 9.772 second advantage over his team-mate Rea in Race 2. The record was set in 1995, when Carl Fogarty won Race 2 by 10.800 seconds ahead of Frankie Chili.

4 – Tom Sykes is in a position to equal Carl Fogarty’s record of poles here, 4. Among the current riders there is only another Donington poleman: Davide Giugliano (2014).

2 - There are only two riders in the current field who have won a WorldSBK race at Donington: Jonathan Rea (1) and Tom Sykes (6).

2 – Donington has favoured breakaway wins recently: only two races in the last fourteen were won with a margin smaller than one second at the flag (both in 2012).

1 – Donington was the stage of the first win of 4-time World Champion Carl Fogarty, back in 1992 in Race 2.

2. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah, forget all of that nonsense. This is the most important thing to focus on this weekend.

[​IMG]

3. 12v_dub

12v_dub Well-Known Member

It's going to be pretty seeing 2 Americans in the sbk race

4. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

lets go CAM!!!!!

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Sykes doubles.

vizsladog likes this.
  6. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

hopefully it rains :D

scottn likes this.
  7. caferace

caferace No.

Some stretch.

-jim

cav115 likes this.
  8. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Go CAM!!! and NICKY!!

cav115 likes this.
  9. The Great One

Copied from the other thread where it was announced that he's filling in for Guinters. This dude looks the part, now let's see some solid finishes on Saturday and Sunday!

'Merica!

[​IMG]

cav115 likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Seriously, whens the last time there were 2 Americans on a WSBK grid. Last I can think was Spies and Hacking at Miller back in 2009 right?

Any word on the weather?

EDIT: I forgot about the whole Yates/May debacle with EBR back in 2014. Hell there were 3 Americans at Laguna that year when Pegram jumped in for a wildcard....damn, my memory's getting foggy.

11. The Great One

The better question is when was the last time we had two very capable American's on two very capable bikes? We could fill the grid with American back-markers and it wouldn't mean squat. This weekend we have two racers that fast enough to get on the podium and they are riding bikes that have the potential to get on the podium (The R1 hasn't shown it's true potential yet, in my professional opinion) :flag:

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I was going to say be adventurous and go with Suzuki...

13. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Rea
    Hayden
    Cam
    For both races

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Nah, there's no way Sykes won't be up there. He kills it at Donnington.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

is the R1 "very capable" just yet? a best finish of 5th by a prev champ isnt that great. some bikes that do that in their first year win by the next (Kawi) while others take years (BMW). Crescent doesnt have a good handle on the bike yet, which is mostly obvious by the fact that their riders keep crashing and have inconsistent results.

16. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I was going with the ones above me haha..

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I'm thinking that Chaz on the Duc may spoil the #2 Kwak of Mr. Sykes.

Nicky top 6 and I hope Cam does really well and finishes top 15.

18. The Great One

The last bit of my post mentioned that it's strictly my opinion :D

I think the problem lies more with the riders than the bike right now. Every time we see Lowes in the fight, he either crashes out or runs off track. You can't blame the bike for that, especially when Lowes is known for his tendency to wad up bikes. For example, last time out at Sepang, he finised 18 seconds behind Sykes in race one. Had he not run off track and lost 8 seconds in a single lap, he would have been fighting with Chaz Davies for the last place on the podium.

Cam is going out there on a bike that he's familiar with and he's bringing his MotoAmerica crew chief along. If he keeps a cool head, I don't see why he can't bring home a pair of top 6 finishes. You or others might think that I'm a little too optimistic, but I think Cam is that damn good. And I'll be watching live drinking a Bud Light in my Red, White and Blue pajamas because America!

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

of course we CAN blame the bike for that, unless Lowes or the team says otherwise. rem last year when Lowes and DePuniet barely could finish a race trying to get to grips w/ the new electronics that Crescent decided to switch to early in the season. they both reported inconsistent engine braking because of electronics issues. the same stuff could be happening to the team on the new R1 as well. inconsistencies arent always the rider's fault. even Guinter's highside looked really odd for how advanced these electronics should be. nothing about Crescent's prev results says that they are a top team in WSBK that can get a handle on this stuff quickly.

didnt know that Cam is taking his crew over. that might help out him and Crescent, since they have more experience with this bike.

ya all this is my opinion too. i didnt say u were being too optimistic, just discussing your opinion that the bike is very capable. someone else in this thread that the bike is overrated. at this time in the season, i agree w/ them.

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Not a great start for Beaubier down in 17th, but I assume it is his first time to this track?
    Hayden is looking OK, 0.6 seconds up on his teammate, but 1.1 down on Sykes.

Hopefully we will see improvements in FP2 (starting in about 40 minutes).