1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World SBK | ROUND 06 | Acerbis Spanish Round | 07 - 09 JUN

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jun 6, 2019.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

uhhh, I'm actually a KRT fanboi, but AB has been killing the grid.

I'm sorry I didn't let blind emotion take over, very un-beeb like, I know. It's just the truth that he has a humongous lead.

2. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

:D

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

The cycle of the Beeb is entertaining:

Rea @ Honda: He's a washed up nobody
    Rea @ KRT: He is unbeatable and should be in MotoGP STAT
    Bau in GP: Crashy McCrasherson needs to move along, he sucks
    Bau in WSBK: Greatest thing since sliced bread
    Rea Vs Bau: Rea is a whiny bitch

jonathanp, 418, Shocker and 3 others like this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not everybody expressed that sentiment. I recall defending him on the Honda because he was clearly over-riding it so much. Once he moved to KRT I knew he was going to crush the field. But part of that was because the rest of the field was relatively weak. I don't think he'd have done as well against Biaggi on the Ape or Spies on the Yamaha. His only real competition for the last few years has been Davies and honestly, Chaz is just not that good. He's been spoiled by the last few years and it's made him soft - now that he's facing a real challenge, he's sort of turning into a whiny bitch.

Bruce likes this.
  5. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Unfortunately not. I only get the main channel with my current cable provider. :(

6. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I never said everybody did.

This cycle is not limited to Rea. Most people liked Stoner because he rode the dog snot out of the POS LCR. Then he stomps Rossi's dick in the dirt, the media attacks him and people hate him. Same thing Lorenzo, Vinales, Zarco etc. The cycle itself is what makes me giggle.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

8. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Rea's move was equally stupid.

9. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I personally highly rated Rea on the Honda. He performed solidly in his fill-in rides in MotoGP as well. I think his time on the Honda actually made him perform better once he got on a good bike. He learned to win and podium on less than stellar equipment.

ShadowBoxer likes this.
  10. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Just out of curiosity has Kawasaki changed the frame at all since 2011 on the ZX10? I know they've "updated" geometry and the motor. But is it basically the same bike?

11. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Disagree. Both "bad" moves, but Rea wouldn't have been penalized if Lowe's stayed up (based on historical events at that corner).

Marco's move was just flat out stupid.

DirtTrackin221 and Bruce like this.
  12. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

None of the previous moves involved shoulder checking the other rider. Marco tried passing using a line that is never used through that corner. He couldn't make the pass quick enough to avoid Davies' natural trajectory through the corner, which is why that line is never used.

There was no way both Rea and Lowes were making it out of that corner on their bikes after Rea initiated the move. Even after the contact, Rea was well wide; he used Lowes as a wall to bounce off, kind of like what Marquez did to Lorenzo, but Rea's move was dirtier.

The Great One likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

he got penalized for it, admitted that it was a bad move, and such is racing.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

From the Pirelli press release that never seems to get posted in North America

Álvaro Bautista on Ducati wins Race 1 of WorldSBK at Jerez; the new Pirelli rear tyre allows race lap time to be improved by more than 1 second compared to 2017
    The Spaniard takes the first race in front of his home fans while Jonathan Rea sets the new track record in Superpole®, in the first WorldSSP300 race the win goes to Marc Garcia on Kawasaki

Jerez de la Frontera (Spain), 8 June 2019 – After filing away the Imola round without a win, Álvaro Bautista, the Spanish Ducati rider and current leader in the championship standings is back on the top step of the podium, taking Race 1 of the MOTUL FIM World Superbike Championship being held this weekend in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.
    Astride the new Ducati Panigale V4R, Bautista moved into the lead on the first lap, maintaining the position until the race finish, crossing the line ahead of Michael Van der Mark (Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team / Yamaha YZF R1), second, and Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK / Kawasaki ZX-10RR), third.

The new soft compound rear tyre Pirelli brought to make its début this round performed brilliantly. The new solution with X1351 specifications was used in Race 1 by no less than fifteen riders and from the first practice sessions on Friday, it gained popularity with many of the riders. Then, in Race 1, thanks in part to the performance of the new solution, the average lap time improved by more than 1 second compared to Race 1 in 2017.
    Then, during Superpole®, thanks to the new qualifying tyre developed by Pirelli this year, no less than eight out of the nineteen riders (Jonathan Rea, Álvaro Bautista, Marco Melandri, Alex Lowes, Leon Haslam, Tom Sykes, Michael van der Mark and Jordi Torres) broke the track record set by Marco Melandri in 2017 con with a time of 1’38.960. In particular, four-time World Champion Jonathan Rea on his Kawasaki ZX-10RR managed to improve on the Italian rider’s record by a full seven seconds, stopping the clock at an extraordinary 1’38.247 which guaranteed the leading spot on the grid for him, whereas Álvaro Bautista did a time just a few thousandths slower.

At the start of Race 1, Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK / Kawasaki ZX-10RR) got off the clutch well, but Álvaro Bautista (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati / Ducati Panigale V4 R), starting from the second spot on the grid, appeared to be very fast straight away, managing to overtake the reigning World Champion for the race lead. In the meantime, Marco Melandri (GRT Yamaha WorldSBK / Yamaha YZF R1) dropped back from third to fifth, bested by the Yamahas ridden by Alex Lowes and Michael Van Der Mark (Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team / Yamaha YZF R1).
    A few laps later, Lowes and Van der Mark went back and forth in third position with the English rider finally forced to yield to the Dutchman.
    During the ninth lap, Michael Van Der Mark also managed to get past Jonathan Rea, moving into second with a gap of almost five seconds behind Bautista who, in the meantime, increased the gap ahead of the trio. On the following lap, Alex Lowes executed a move on Rea, moving into third place behind his teammate.
    On the fourteenth lap, Rea successfully took back third with a nice move on the outside of Alex Lowes. However, the rider from the Iwata-based manufacturer was able to stay with the bike from Akashi until, three laps from the end, he managed to take back the lost position.
    There were sparks on the final lap when Jonathan Rea, trying to take back third, made contact with Alex Lowes who got the worst of it, ending up in the gravel. Race direction decided to investigate the incident, but in the end, the defending World Champion’s third place was confirmed.
    Álvaro Bautista (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati / Ducati Panigale V4 R) therefore took the win with a seven-second advantage over Michael Van Der Mark (Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team / Yamaha YZF R1) and fifteen seconds ahead of Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK / Kawasaki ZX-10RR). Worth a mention is the performance by Marco Melandri (GRT Yamaha WorldSBK / Yamaha YZF R1), fourth over the line and the first of the private teams.
    WorldSBK Race 1 Standings:

1) Á. Bautista (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati / Ducati Panigale V4 R)
    2) M. Van Der Mark (Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team / Yamaha YZF R1)
    3) J. Rea (Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK / Kawasaki ZX-10RR)
    4) M. Melandri (GRT Yamaha WorldSBK / Yamaha YZF R1)
    5) T. Razgatlioglu (Turkish Puccetti Racing / Kawasaki ZX-10RR)
    6) T. Sykes (BMW Motorrad WorldSBK Team / BMW S1000 RR)
    7) C. Davies (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati / Ducati Panigale V4 R)
    8) S. Cortese (GRT Yamaha WorldSBK / Yamaha YZF R1)
    9) L. Haslam (Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK / Kawasaki ZX-10RR)
    10) M. Rinaldi (Barni Racing Team / Ducati Panigale V4 R)

The Pirelli solutions chosen by the WorldSBK riders for Race 1:
    In Race 1, for the front tyre, preferences fell primarily to the standard SC1 in the 125/70 size (option A), chosen by 11 out of the 19 riders on the grid, although some, including Jonathan Rea and Álvaro Bautista, preferred the X1071 SC2 development solution, also in the larger 125/70 size (option B). The only rider making a different choice was Markus Reiterberger, who decided to put on the X1118 SC2 development solution (option C).
    Choices for the rear tyre were almost unanimous: no less than 15 out of the 19 riders used the new X1351 SC0 development tyre, also in the 200/65 size (option A), whereas the standard SC0 in the 200/65 size (option B) was chosen by the factory Yamaha riders, Michael Van Der Mark and Alex Lowes, as well as by Michael Ruben Rinaldi on Ducati and Alessandro Delbianco on Honda.

Pirelli statistics for WorldSBK Race 1:
    • Winner of the PIRELLI BEST LAP AWARD: Álvaro Bautista (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati / Ducati Panigale V4 R) in 1'39.305 at the 2nd lap
    • Most used front solution: standard SC1 125/70 (11 out of 19 riders)
    • Most used rear solution: new development SC0 200/65 X1351 (15 out of 19 riders)
    • Maximum race speed reached by Pirelli DIABLO™ Superbike tyres: 280.7 km/h, achieved by Michael Ruben Rinaldi (Barni Racing Team / Ducati Panigale V4 R), Leon Haslam (Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK / Kawasaki ZX-10RR) and Chaz Davies (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati / Ducati Panigale V4 R) in the 1st lap and by Álvaro Bautista (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati / Ducati Panigale V4 R) in the 19th lap
    • Number of solutions (dry, intermediate and wet) for the Superbike class: 5 front and 8 rear
    Number of tyres available for each Superbike rider: 74, including 35 front and 39 rear
    • Air temperature: 29° C
    • Asphalt temperature: 54° C
    Press release

15. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Melandri is a such a little bitch:

“It’s unfortunate Chaz didn’t leave me the same amount of space I left him when the positions were reversed on the previous lap, but for me was a racing incident and nothing more.”

16. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Not knocking Pirelli since I run them, but the major contribution to the decrease in lap times from previous years was the resurfacing of the track, not the tires.

17. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

And I'm sure they won't take any responsibility for the crash in race 2 either.

18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

The supersport race was pretty good even though it has turned into the R6 cup. Remember a few years back when there were no R6's in the top 10 even?

Rea knew he made a bonehead move but to not try it would have been boneheaded as well imo. It was nice to see him at least feel bad about it.

19. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Thank you! I was trying to find a nice way to say the same thing but kept deleting everything I typed and never replied. :D

Pirellis are great tires and I ran them (along with Metzelers) for 99.9% of the races I ran with WERA, unless I was riding for another team in endurance.

I just don't get the "bragging rights" thing when it's a single tire series.