1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless network help

Discussion in 'General' started by stickman, Mar 3, 2009.

1. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Just received a new Asus netbook 1000XE. It is detecting my home wireless network just fine, full 5 bars.

But, when I click on 'Connect' and enter the wep key password, the box pops up and it says "Please wait while Windows connects to "Freds" network. Waiting for network..."

After about a minute, the box just goes away and does not connect. The status of "Freds" network remains 'Automatic,' and not 'Connected.' My desktop is connect to my wireless router via ethernet. My regular laptop connects to the wireless network just fine. What the hell?

I compared the configuration of the laptop with the netbook, and everything is the same. It is set to obtain the IP address automatically. I'm sure I'm putting in the correct wep key. This is freaking me out.

2. caferace

caferace No.

What brand/model number of wireless router is it?
    What O/S is the new laptop?
    What application on the laptop are you using to get your wireless connection?

-jim

3. The Windows default is WEP Open, whereas if you're using WEP for security, you're probably using WEP Shared. WEP Open won't talk to WEP Shared. Need to change that on Windows.

Also make sure you're using the correct key #. Default is 1. If you are using a different key # on your wireless network, you won't get a connection.

4. stickman

Westell Model 327W router. Windows XP SP3. AzureWave Wireless Network Adapter.

The router, laptop, and netbook are all set to WEP Open. The router key # is set to 1. I don't see where I can check this on the netbook.

Does the fact that I'm now using two different computers to access the router have anything to do with it? Should I change it to WEP shared?

Thanks for you help guys. Is it possible the AzureWave Wireless Network Adapter is DOA? Like I mentioned, it detects my network, just can't connet.

5. stickman

I might be getting somewhere. I noticed on my router under MAC addressing, the only thing allowed is the laptop, which works. Nothing there about the new netbook. Where do I find the MAC address for the netbook so I can add that in?

6. blahanson

blahanson Active Member

Sound like you could have the AP configured to allow only given MAC addresses access.

Press the windows key + r. (Or click the start button, click run)
    Type cmd
    Type ipconfig /all
    Physical address = MAC

I'd suggest WPA2 if you are concerned about security. If your router allows.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  7. stickman

I'm a *ucking genius! I disabled MAC addressing on the router, and it works!

What the hell is MAC addressing and do I need it? I would feel better if I can add the netbook into the allowable MAC address book, but can't find those numbers.

8. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

"ipconfig -all" from a command line. MAC address is the physical address for the Ethernet interface.

Edit: What blahanson said.

Filtering by MAC address is a security measure to allow only specified devices to connect. Not foolproof.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  9. stickman

Got it! Is it the physical address? Looks something like 00-22-43-66-B5-E4

10. stickman

You guys are typing too fast. Awesome! Thanks a lot.

11. blahanson

blahanson Active Member

No problem, you did all the work.

12. stickman

I was messing with this thing for the last two hours. Sheesh. I'm so happy now. I always know I can count on you guys for any problems the world throws at us; computers, racing, chicks, you name it!