1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will they burn baltimore?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by joec, Apr 25, 2015.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

Big protests scheduled for this afternoon and evening. Claim "the biggest protest baltimore has ever seen". "Going to cripple the city and halt traffic".

Ironic that im pretty much sitting at grpund zero for the 68 race riots here. But this really seems mostly focused at the cops. Central police station is less than a mile south of here. Baltimore city prison is 3 blocks away.

Should be an interesting evening. Too bad its 45 degrees out, and cloudy.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nothing really left to burn, they never rebuilt from the last time they burned it down. Maybe the inner harbor and fells point?

3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Was thinking along Dave's line of thought?

I did know we could tell the difference if it was burning.

Baltimore was the first US City that I hit on my travels that had me asking WTF?

Now, I have added others to the list but Baltimore was first to made that list back in December of 1987 as I rode a Greyhound from Fort Belvoir, VA to SoFL.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What the heck were you doing in Belvoir? and how the shit did you go from there through baltimore to FL?

5. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Will anyone care if they do?

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Volunteering!

Dude, don't ask me logical questions, not when it comes to Greyhound. I asked for the quickest transport to SoFL. By duffel bag made it about six hours before I did.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

On the road with Joaquin Kerouac.

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Or maybe it was in November 87, when I transferred from Fort Dix to Fort Belvoir?

Long time ago, but the sighting of Baltimore made an impression that I have not forgotten.

When I was leaving DC on the 48 State Tour, I actually took 50 East, across into Delware instead of going thru Baltimore along 95.

9. joec

joec brace yourself

Oh man, the old greyhound station was super sketchy. Now its in the middle of "loft style" apartments and yoga studios. Port authority had nothing on us!

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

“At lilac evening I walked with every muscle aching among the lights of 27th and Welton in the Denver colored section, wishing I were a Negro, feeling that the best the white world had offered was not enough ecstasy for me, not enough life, joy, kicks, darkness, music, not enough night... I wished I were a Denver Mexican, or even a poor overworked Jap, anything but what I was so drearily, a "white man" disillusioned. All my life I'd had white ambitions; that was why I'd abandoned a good woman like Terry in the San Joaquin Valley I passed the dark porches of Mexican and Negro homes.”

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Don't legitimize a temper tantrum by calling it a protest.

A protest has a clear message that demands a tangible change. From what I experienced during the Tamir Rice "protests" in Cleveland, the demonstrators only clear message was "we're pissed off!" And they had a right to be - but I don't know what they want me to do about it from inside my car, while they stand on route 2, blocking traffic through the city at rush hour. I'm assuming the protestors wanted to gain public support. Inconveniencing the working masses isn't the way to do that...

Now if they had surrounded the police department and refused to move until the chief acknowledged the need for revised training with how the department deals with juveniles handlin firearms (or any other actionable outcome) I would likely have supported their cause.

...instead the only thing they accomplished was making a spectacle and pissing people off. A classic "two wrongs don't make a right" scenario IMHO. Sure, they can call it a peaceful protest, but it was only peaceful because the cops went out of their way to make sure no one was able to confront the jerkoffs blocking the highway...

/rant. Good luck Baltimore.

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Night is coming. This is going to get interesting.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

Blocking traffic, and fighting each other in.the intersections....

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sweet! Have the dirt bike gangs shown up yet?

15. joec

joec brace yourself

Dude, they blocked all of the traffic!

Today was actually the first day in many weeks I heard zero dirtbikes in the neighborhood. Not even rubbing up and down the expressway. There are hardly any protesters actually. Those freaking mounted police are always so impressive.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well that's no fun. I wanted the bikes buzzing through the protestors :D

17. joec

joec brace yourself

Theyre blocking all of the traffic around the harbour/tourist area..but it seems everyone's avoiding driving through there anyway. So sorta counter productive. There's an accident on the expressway heading through town, that's closed at the moment, so traffic is just a disaster right now.

18. joec

joec brace yourself

Im with..I was hoping for an appearance too!

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Saw something from a news channel on FB showing one broken window in a store with the title "Window broken out as protesters run through downtown" - seriously? Protesters aren't running, they march. Just because idiots break a window doesn't make them protesters.

20. joec

joec brace yourself

Hey! What do ya know? Orioles are tied with the sox! Sox fans must be all like wtf is going on? Haha.