1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will the derecho reduce ethanol content?

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

with the lack of corn surplus and gas prices low, will there be a tendency for more "regular" gas?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

He's asking if the country will be smart enough to stop making corn squeezins' and contaminating the fuel supply with it.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

turbo cars love the stuff

Rebel635, cpettit and Shocker like this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

there was a strom in the midwest and it supposedly nuked 46% of corn before harvest and damaged a lot of storage infrastructure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/08/12/iowa-derecho-corn-damage/

Edit, just saw you had a link in there. that report was a week old, from the little i could read without login. prices will spike so the question is if they will put it in fuel as much...

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

if tuned right.

old cars and bikes hate HFCS.

stk0308 and TurboBlew like this.
  7. Venom51

Yeah..but they suck to

drive so....

Sorry or the delay...

this post was turbo powered.

Tifosi, mpusch, jasonhise and 3 others like this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Mr. Egg was questioning the premise.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This corn thread is poppin'!

Phl218 and sdg like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

depends on the turbo, a small snail will get almost instant torque, a bigger snail will have some lag, but once you're in boost, you have no more lag, and it's so much fun. And well you can tune them to your heart's content.

VW Golfs, can almost double the WHP to almost 500 with some fuel mods and a tune, stock block. And the new BMW Supras are absolutely crushing it right now.

11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

:mad: BMW supras!!! The 2nd most disappointing thing from Toyota. Rust being #1:(

StaccatoFan likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hey, Minneshitholia isn’t too quick on updating articles, that article is still on the front page of the star & sickle’s website.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

I hear ya, but at least there is another sports car out there in the world with an awesome motor that loves to be modded. Much better than some stupid SUV.

lookmtb and britx303 like this.
  14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I believe most ethanol is in fuel because of government mandates, not market, so I doubt there will be much change other than fuel prices could go up a bit. Even if the corn price goes up 100%, the refined ethanol fuel price would probably only go up 50% because the refining cost won't really change. Most blends are 90/10, so that would only be a 5% bump in the price at the wholesale level. Assume the retailer / distributor take a bit of that you are probably looking at just a 3-4% bump in price. Yawn.

sheepofblue and Canadian Bacon like this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

dont forget boats!! :)

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

looks like youre missing some low end torks...hehe

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

:crackup:

18. This. It’s more emissions related mandates plus some “renewable” stuff. As said above ethanol has a pretty low impact on overall cost but having 0% would cost a lot more in fines etc. I don’t have the min % with me but there is a range and I’m sure with lack of ethanol they will be at the bare min. The tax structure also has a factor for % ethanol so it’s also not a true 1:1 cost. Plus other things like shelf life etc are factors plus a million other things. Very complicated issue that isn’t very cut and dry.

19. Venom51

Mostly a joke. I still prefer my NA motors though.

BigBird likes this.
  20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I know.....but Yota has the capabilities. No need to rely on olde alliances for the technology imho :D

BigBird likes this.