1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a half inch shorter swingarm impact handling significantly?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by guy2600, Sep 3, 2020.

1. guy2600

guy2600 Active Member

I'm building a 1990 GSXR 750 and I have a beautiful Calfab braced swingarm off an 89. I'd like to use it but it's 1/2" shorter. All of the mounting points are the same. I'm not sure, however, what impact this would have on handling. Thoughts?

Stock specs:
    Wheelbase: 55.7"
    Rake: 25.5
    Trail: 3.9"

xracerfranz likes this.
  2. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I'd say yes. I know the r6 is pretty particular on swingarm length.

I guess biggest difference is the age of the technology. Hell it may love it.

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I know that SRAD swingers are different length for the 600 and 750 (I can't remember the exact difference), and the "alleged" hot ticket was to put the 600 swinger (unbraced) on the 750 to get it to turn. So I think that 1/2" shorter swinger on your 750 should be fine. I would hazard a guess that there is minimal difference in wheelbase length if you use a longer chain and push the axle as far back as possible.

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you could put the SRAD 600 arm on a Busa. 1/2" isnt much

5. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Yoshimura had swingarms in 1/2" changes. So it must change something noticeably.

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Man, you gotta post pics of the unobtanium...:D

7. guy2600

guy2600 Active Member

This is the only pic I have on my phone. It's in pretty good shape for 30 years old.

IMG_6943.jpg

RRP and TurboBlew like this.
  8. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

IMO...1990 slingshots, they were still big bikes then... With a rather long wheelbase for a sportbike.
    Whenc the SRAD was debuted wheelbase was shortened almost 2 3/4".... course I realize it was a completely different chassis.
    But in my opinion I think you will be fine it would probably help nimble up your steering but could be at the cost of him some minor high speed stability?
    Obviously... Anything you do to change something will have an effect somewhere else. I'd certainly employ a steering stabilizer, and make sure your suspension, sag etc is all set up as it should be... I think you would find it would be more nimble. How much... only you'll be able to tell.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Where are your measuring points? A similar swingarm pivot to axle slot length is all you need to care about if you want to maintain current wheelbase factored handling characteristics.
    The mount for the shock/linkage could be another story. Are you including that mount when you say "All of the mounting points are the same"?

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

A shorter swingarm will lower the rear, all things being equal. Which means that the shorter wheelbase may be offset by the lower rear. If you push the wheel back in the adjustment slots you might gain back the ride height and wheelbase, then raise the rear a bit if the shock is adjustable for length (or the clevis if so equipped). But don't raise it too much, as that can steepen the swingarm angle too much. And so on.

11. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

DCEAC95C-80A4-4936-A8C6-60850E10F5C8.jpeg 87241923-9632-40A1-8AE8-2F6CB99BD536.jpeg

I have a current Cal-Fab swingarm on my ‘91 GSXR frame.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  12. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

you can't do that you just can't post a picture with some expansion Chambers and not show a better picture of the whole damn thing what is it is it an older triple.... Oren RGV transplant.
    does a guy over in Long Beach that did a gamma 500 conversion into an SRADpainted it up and Kenny Roberts junior Championship body work and paint. Its pretty damn sweet

evakat likes this.
  13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The search feature is your friend...
    Two stroke resto mod
    Lets' see some your bikes!
    Garage Time Thread

I'm a bit of a stalker. I learned well from my wife and daughter :D

trussdude likes this.