1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wilder vs Fury

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Fury is one of the oddest humans, much less boxers, I've ever seen.

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Kind of both. Wilder is no Floyd Mayweather, but is more accurate than he should be with that style, and Fury is that good. There has never been a heavyweight close to his size who moves that well. He's a very special technical boxer.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

One thing no one is talking about is that last night was hands down the best performance of Wilder's career. He actually looked like a boxer a few times. Fury looked way better than I expected as well. He wasn't as clean as he was in the Klitchko fight, but didn't fight like a guy who had that long a layoff.

Heavyweight has been a little lame since Fury beat Klitchko . In a big way this fight reinvigorated the division.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No doubt. All of the fights were pretty good. Disappointed in how Ortiz sandbagged an obviously outmatched opponent. Not sure what the point of that was.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That comment made me laugh out loud :crackup:

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, that adds a whole new level of clarity to boxing that I never had before. Thanks. I actually thought they were counting punches! :D
    Maybe a dumb question but what's the point of Wilder fighting at 20 kg less than Fury if it doesn't help them move as well? If his whole deal is landing a killer punch, wouldn't he be to his advantage to get bigger? (I'm working under the assumption that Americans pile on weight at will, which I never could do. :D )

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dude, I lost it!

SuddenBraking likes this.
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

He's been heavier in the past, as much as 230 if memory serves. He just seems to move better at a lighter weight. Wilder could pretty easily cut to the cruiserweight limit of 200, but there's not a lot of competition there, thus not a lot of money. The next step down from there is light heavyweight at 175.

There's a point of diminishing return in terms of weight for fighters. Even in the UFC, the last handful of champions have been around 245, 20 lbs under the 265 limit. I think Lesnar was the last guy to hit the limit. Frank Mir was big too, but I don't think he had to cut weight.

10. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

You must be a genius Gump! .. nice call. Well said before the fight. Not hindsight

11. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

THIS

I am a Wilder fan but at best give him the two rounds 10-8. But hey, they set themselves up for a nice rematch.

12. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Thanks. Still haven’t seen it or read much about it.

busa99 likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Seems Fury's camp is still raising hell about the outcome. Meh. I've seen far far worse decisions. This doesn't even rate among them.

jrsamples likes this.
  14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Is Fury the fella that broke out into Aerosmith's Amazing to his wife after a win?

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I didn’t think so initially, but I rewatched it last night with the volume off. No commentary or crowd.

I had it 114-110 for Fury, and I was being charitable giving Wilder the 7th. Maybe 115-109 really. I can’t conceive a way to score it that would give the fight to Wilder.

If you didn’t understand Fury’s style of fighting off his heels, you could argue ring control or activity in the 1st and 6th round, making it even. The problem is that even in those rounds, he was landing more punches and not getting hit.

16. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

That was my thoughts as well on the fight. Looking at the punch numbers, even with 2 10-8 rounds there is no way he won that fight. After the last round knock down he hit wilder with a punch that had him pumping the brakes. Good fight either way.

busa99 likes this.
  17. superdino

superdino Naturally aspirated twin-turbo

Just cracks me up that one guy in the fight is 6-foot-7...and he's the short one.

18. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I had been waiting for this fight for a year. Fury weighed 400 lbs exactly 1 year ago. I can't stand Wilder for his attitude and bling blingyness but he is the greatest HW the states has had in a while. I started watching Fury a few years ago and he is a straight up boxer. Pure boxer.

This fight was technical vs ko puncher. Fury looked like Keanu Reeves in the Matrix dodging those punches. He embarrassed Wilder but got caught twice and got up. No one has done that.

Tyson got robbed. Wilder got two 10-8 rounds. Do the math. I was shocked they called it a draw.
    Teddy agrees....

I'm ready to see Anthony Joshua fight both of them.

19. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Might want to pull the videos down. I think they still ban you for those here.

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That Teddy Atlas clip is being misrepresented. That rant was maybe 5 years ago after the Oscar Escandon/Tison Cage fight. Cave clearly won the fight in dominant fashion and they gave it to Escandon. It was orders of magnitude worse than what happened saturday night. Not even close.

Plus, Tyson Fury could eat them both in one sitting. :D