1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wifi Signal Booster

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Sep 11, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

OK, the miniblonde moved to another apartment in Charlotte. It is student-centric and wifi is included, but the signal strength in her room sucks. Could be where the signal is coming from or lack of bandwidth. I have no idea if there is a router in her building, outside, or if it is just absorbed from the atmosphere by vaporware, she needs connectivity to take tests and such. I would like to avoid adding additional data to our cell plan unless I have no choice. Is there a signal booster that will amplify available signal if you don't know where the router is?

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Ask the landlord where it is located. Might make it easier.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I already instructed her to do that, but unless they are going to relocate the device, I need a way to increase signal strength because I cannot move her room.

CharlieY and Sabre699 like this.
  4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have a wifi signal app, and then I placed my netgear booster in an optimum location to pull the signal closer to the media center downstairs.

The app is called "Wifi Analyzer" and I just walked around the basement to find the limits of the current signal, then plopped the booster in place. So far so good.

K51000 likes this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Placement being paramount for sure. Hopefully relocation can happen.
    If not there are shit-ton of plug-in (electrical outlet type) boosters on Amazon. Good luck.

6. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I don't believe there's a way to boost a wifi signal you don't own. Pitching a fit with the land lord is the most likely way without relocating her.

7. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I'm surprised her building is full wifi. When I was in school all dorms and apartment buildings were hard wired to each unit. Does her room have access to a wired connection? If so she can always use her own wireless router plugged in.

In an apartment complex where internet is "included" she could always try to negotiate that signal is sub par and get a dollar amount knocked off rent and use that to get her own connection?

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Found one...

[​IMG]

beac83, SpeedyE, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

This is an apartment complex. Wifi included is part of the pitch. I didn't see a hard wired connection when I was there last week. Thanks for the input.

10. Venom51

Best you could do is a repeater but that isn't without its own set of possible problems. If it is supplied with the residence then building owner is the first path to be addressed. Second solution is the repeater if a hard line isn't an option. You'd need to stumble around with an analyzer app on a phone and find the direction that gives you an increase in signal. Then locate the repeater as close to that point and direction as possible.

Signal quality may also not be the issue. It may boil down to too many users and not enough radios to adequately deal with them. Wireless can suck ass for so many possible reasons it is hard to nail down getting the problem description via someone who has no idea how it all works.

beac83 and SpeedyE like this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I called the landlord...each room has an ethernet port. Venom wins.

K51000, SpeedyE, BigBird and 4 others like this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe I can take one of my old routers and set her up with wifi for her room.

K51000, Sabre699 and Phl218 like this.
  13. Venom51

Why..yes...yes you can. However I suggest if it is not 5ghz capable to pick up a cheap one that is. The 2.4Ghz spectrum will be so crowded as to be useless. On 5Ghz she might be able to grab a frequency that isn't complete shit. A long cable is still the best option.

BigBird likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And remember to name the SSID “yell penis for password” :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. Venom51

"Secret Hostage Dungeon"

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I just want her to stop consuming 2/3 of the data on my cell plan. I gots needs too. :D

17. Venom51

Easy fix...

Log into cell phone service provider website. Find her phone line. Click "Discontinue service on this number".

Problem resolved. :D

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

2.5 years and that will happen. I have purchased her last iPhone.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Your time is coming...and you have two.

Rico888 likes this.