1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wifey wants a new camera..

Discussion in 'General' started by Spooner, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

So the wife wants a new camera and wants to spend like $500-$800 or so. We have a decent point and shoot now but with our new rugrat running around she wants to take better pictures. Whats a good camera that doesn't take a degree to use full advantage of? Whats with these mirrorless cameras, any good? I don't know squat about them so I'm asking you idiots :D

She is considering ones with interchangeable lenses but didn't know if the newest point and shoots were just as good these days. Enlighten us!

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Shit, check pawn shops. I really don't know dick about them, but I got some Cannon sumthinorother camera and a Sony sumthinorother camcorder from my buddy that runs a local pawn shop. Looking them up online, I fared pretty well. Like 1/3 the cost, and they've been flawless.

3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

what do you plan to photograph?

4. Spooner

Mostly this guy.

[​IMG]

5. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I got the wife a Canon EOS 60D and she freaking loves it! The quality of the pics with the standard lens is amazing! Once I gather up some extra funds, a big lens is on the way so she can take better pics of the kids playing soccer and baseball.

Oh yeah....it's also very easy to use!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I picked up a Nikon D7100 for the wife. A bit more than you're looking to spend, but I know she's beyond happy with it. Heck if I know poo about it. :confused:

7. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

My oldest has had a Canon T3 for 4-5 years. It is a very good camera and we have gotten some amazing shots with it. I got tired of bumming her camera so I got a T3i for myself. Pretty much the same camera only 18meg vs 12meg. Both are great options in your price range and I don't think you can do better at a given price point. Bestbuy honors a lot of the online deals which makes it easy to pick it up local for a good price.

8. Spooner

So DSLR's are the way to go then I take it? How much do you have to mess with settings and stuff to get the good pictures?

9. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

The best camera for family and especially baby pics is the one that takes good pics and that is easy and quick-- so you will use it. SLR's and multi lens cameras are good in theory but really suited to scenery and art shots or portraits, and you are going to be fussing with lenses while baby is doing something cute and you'll miss it. We've raised 5 kids and taken thousands of great pics using good quality point and shoots. We currently use a $200 Nikon point and shoot from Costco and it takes really great pics and fits in your pocket, has a very good light meter and autofocus and great color reproduction. I have an SLR with an electronic body and a bunch of lenses and sometimes I take it to Daytona or the mountains but it takes way too much effort for quick grab shots-- the best kid shots.

10. Jack Brock

Auto setting works great, but you need to go manual to get professional results. There was a Sony that was not an interchangeable lens that I was very impressed with, but I forget the model. I'll chime back in iir.

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

We have one of the cannon t's with a tamron 25-75 f2.8 lens. It definitely gets the job done. we have several photos blown up and printed on canvas in our house and they look amazing. Great cameras for the money.

12. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i have a nikon D3100 works really well

13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Here are a few from this year.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

For most shots, your phone. It is almost always with you. Unless you carry the camera everywhere, you will miss a lot of Kodak Moments getting the camera out, powering up and focusing.

15. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

We has a Sony DSC-V3 back in the day (about 10 years ago) and it took amazing pics for a digital camera back then. We replaced that with the D60 just because it sucked at taking good action shots.

16. Jack Brock

17. I bought Lora one of those too. She loves it. They all look the same to me, but she says it is good.

18. :stupid:

Good call. When talking about catching a good moment with a child or dog or something like that, a good phone is your best bet. It is there and always ready.

My iPad takes pictures better than some cameras I have bought in the past.

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I bought a sony nex 6 to take with me to Alaska. I have been really pleased with it. Mirorless, electronic viewfinder, interchangeable lenses.

20. meowculpa

meowculpa Well-Known Member

Fujifilm x100s (on sale - should be around 800ish)