1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the Post Office is broke...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Marcmcm, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

They just sent a guy to my office, not the normal mail carrier, to collect 61 cents for a postage due letter. No postage, no retunr address....just don't deliver the damn thing, throw it away.

2. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

The PO is able to rely on deep pockets of mommy and daddy and don't absolutely require results to continue running. Akin to Human nature, it creates a loser of a child or operation.

Having said that, I like the PO way better than UPS.

3. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

The Post Office is also broke because of email and Craig's list....

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Al Gore killed the USPS.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

He cut their budget to finance his hunt for Manbearpig!

6. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

It wasn't all that long ago that the Post Office was the only government organization that operated in the black. The internet killed the USPS.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Repost

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

See... 10 years ago that would have taken us two stamps to get the word passed. :D

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would say the delivery of electronic mail is better for the environment, but it does take fuel to power the servers, routers, switches and computers. It also takes fuel to build and deliver all of the parts to make the servers, switches, routers, cables, computers, etc.

In the end, I think the problem is that postage is too cheap. Raise the price of sending me all that crappy junk mail and maybe I will get less of it. That would be fine with me.

10. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Evolve....

I can honestly say I have no use for the USPS anymore. I can get and pay all my bills electronically. Today I received a vaccination notification for my dog (which could have been emailed) and a bunch of junk mail that I don't want anyway. If it wouldn't be for the census I think they'd probably be completely broke this year. My conspiracy theory is that the government is artificially propping up the USPS by sending out letters telling you you're going to receive a letter.

11. b-sav

b-sav Well-Known Member

There's two reasons the post office is broke.
    1) They give shitty service
    2) They give too good of service

1) They give shitty service. If you have a package to send and use the USPS, it stands a far greater chance of showing up all banged up, broken or not show up at all. There tracking number system sucks. Lots and lots of mail doesn't make it to its intended destination (just ask my wife about over $50.00 in postage stamps to send X-mas cards that get shredded in the sorting machine two years in a row) with no refund of your postage money.

2) They give too good of service. People who live out in the bondocks get the same service for the same price as people living in populated areas (as they should). The post office has to send a mailman out to your mailbox every damn day just to see if you might have something that needs to be sent, whereas the UPS and FedEx get you to take it to them. This costs money that private companies don't have to spend.

12. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

I received a letter today, at my office, that had been placed in another envelope by the USPS. Apparently the original letter got caught in the machine and that caused some damage.

I thought no big deal, I open up the USPS envelop and all I had was half of the original envelope (the half with my address) and the original correspondence gone. I don't even know who sent it to me or what it was?

I think I'm probably rich bishes...or would have been had Ed McMahon's letter arrived.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Now wait a minute here. You have to follow Gore's plan all the way through. He invented the internet ya see, to drive the postal service out of business, thus saving the world's environment from all those postal vehicles. Got it?

(Jeez, I gotta explain everything to ya.)

:)

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I dunno about you guys but my postman at work has a bad problem with pushing the door shut on the box so it stays latched.

Pisses me off getting wet, soggy mail all the time.

15. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Why should he bother??

I have a friend who's a postmaster that said it's nearly impossible to get fired from the postal service. If you get in trouble bad enough they'll just move you to a different post office.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

On the other hand it is one of the world's most dangerous jobs...ever hear of going postal???? :moon:

17. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

yes and no, while it killed regular correspondance, ebay and craigs list items still get shipped mainly with the post office, if they lost that, they would have to shut down, they give me pretty crappy service for what i spend a year with them, they offer little or no help on any issues

i love it when an envelope comes back and undeliverable address, i call the people and say thats there address and they have lived there for years, send it again and it gets there, :confused:

18. teamneon

teamneon Well-Known Member

Thats called a "body bag".
    I received my half of an envelope a stupid hotel clerk mailed my motorcycle key in...the key and their half was eaten by the postal machine.
    BUT...2 weeks later they received the key and their half of the envelope and remailed it in a padded envelope (like they should have to begin with) so i cant complain.

19. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

I loved working at the post office when I was in college. Basically it was here is your route and be back here at a certain time. The route basically took half the time they allocated for so I would hang out at a buddy's house or even take a nap.

Christmas time was crazy with packages that involved more work. Some routes do take forever but you can usually get help.

The only thing about the post office I hated is it was a circus when someone called off and that the union controls everything! Each post office is given a budget. When Christmas time came, much overtime was needed. Since I was not in the union, it would make sense to pay me the overtime (which I never got because i was part time). Everytime the boss would schedule me to do it, a union member filed a grievance that I was taking work away from them so they could suck up the overtime.

I also liked spraying dogs with that pepper spray and everytime some senior citizen would complain i walked on their grass, I would re-route their mail for another week!

Post office is alright in my book!:up: