1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is emergency medicine different than police, fire, and military?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Sep 13, 2017.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

As you should. Regular ambulance services like AMR pay lousy, and you get what you pay for.
    Most of what AMR does is cart old people around.
    In a serious situation you might get lucky and get people who have some experience and paid attention in class, or you might get a pair who can only scoop and screw.
    Here we get a FD ambulance with 3 paramedics and a rescue truck with another 2 to 4 firemen.
    Works for me.

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't know, I had two serious surgeries that lasted 7-8 hours, and long stays in the ICU and then the surgical ward afterward and the bills weren't close to that.
    They were about $130,000, and that's with 26 days in the hospital.
    There may be some exaggeration taking place there.

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Except the quality of care and response times have gotten longer. EMT pay is lousy but you can't do much as an EMT. Medic pay isn't that bad, not as good as firefighter pay, but not bad. AMR is also designated by the county to be in charge for medical on scene. Fire used to do it but the county made a deal with AMR to dispatch and do medical. I watched the fire dept water rescue squad pull three teens that drowned in a slough in Dec and the AMR did nothing to revive them. Supervisor medic told me afterwards there wasn't cold water drowning here. Fire pulled them in less than 20 minutes, water was 46 degrees on the surface, I measured it, AMR didn't even try to revive them. I used to do dive rescue/recovery before the fire dept was doing it. Cold water drowning standard, you're not dead till you're warm and dead, they didn't even try cpr.