1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Iowa?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Past Glory, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

What is the reasoning behind Iowa as the opening Presidential primary? If so much emphasis is going to be placed on the first round, why not at least have it in a large population State that has a broad population demographic and more issues than ethanol production?
    At the very least, rotate the opener to a different State each time rather than a guarantee that only the most Lily White area in the nation always gets the first say?

Pepsi Drinker likes this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Caucus

NH is the first primary.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

4. Past Glory

Right, thanks. And as far as population demographic goes, NH isn't any better a "representation" of the US as a whole.

5. Past Glory

Good article. The thing that irritates me so much about this is how all the candidates have to grovel before the corn growers. While I had disagreements with John McCains political viewpoints and platform, his willingness to tell Iowa that ethanol was not worth supporting were the finest words I ever heard spoken to those people.

Pepsi Drinker and rd400racer like this.
  6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

but but... then how would conservative white people get their government handouts while still being able to demonize inner city welfare recipients if they got rid of ethanol? think of the children... won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!!!

7. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I agree this pandering and subsidization of ethanol to farmers has been long overdue to shut down with oil at $35 bbl. There may have been a business case when oil was at $140 but at this point keeping ethanol alive seems to be purely political.

Pepsi Drinker likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Suck it. :D

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You think?

11. In Your Corner

Why is that a necessity or even a good thing?

The big advantage here is that the voters actually get to talk to the candidates. We don't have to rely on ads or seeing someone from afar. If you want to size up a candidate, you can go and talk to them.
    Try that in NYC, a place that includes a wide variation in peoples.
    There, you get to see an ad on the subway. Try asking that ad a specific question.

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Didn't some states try to advance their primaries only to have Iowa advance theirs? What would be wrong with all primaries being on the same day, same as the elections?

13. In Your Corner

You're thinking of NH.
    NH state law requires NH to be the first primary, and it has been adjusted forward in recent elections to achieve that.
    It's Feb 9 this year.

14. Past Glory

Given the length of the Presidential election cycle now, people of ALL States could have the chance to actually talk to the candidates. But I see your point, we can't just allow "Those People" the chance for a face to face. The poor, downtrodden White man has been taking it on the chin for far too long and just never gets a chance to have his voice heard.

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

dan carlin has a good pod cast on the primaries and caucus strategery

16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

What do you mean "you people"?

17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I spent a little time in Des Moines in early '96. Thats a really weird state. You couldnt pay me enough to go back there for anything. Sorry off the political track.....carry on:rolleyes:

18. In Your Corner

We actually do have black people here, and they are politically active, if that's your concern.
    A large percentage are not even African-American, just African.
    But, as usual, you missed the whole point in your effort to play your racism card.
    Perhaps people in other states should provide the same opportunity to talk to people face to face.
    If that isn't the case where you live, whose fault is that?

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Bush's.

Duh.

20. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

You only get to talk to them if you pay them money.......... I mean extortion fees, then god forbid you disagree. Oops look at the time, no more of it for you.