1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't God stop gun violence

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by turtlecreek, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

TLDR...both this ^^^ and the manual. :eek:

SuddenBraking likes this.
  2. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

free will in action! :beer:

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I understand it perfectly. You choose to believe in fairy tales, I don't. Everything else you typed was a bunch of garbage, especially the part about how cancer is created by evil. I'm sorry you wasted your time on it.

code3ryder likes this.
  4. turtlecreek

perhaps wasted on you, but not wasted. :)

jd41, David-imoddavid and tiggen like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but the whole love thing doesn't actually answer any of the questions. Do you have an answer?

Church as a social gathering makes sense.

Bible as a manual makes no sense. If god tells you what's up you don't need a manual.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I can't remember if anyone posted this video yet, and it's dreadfully long, but this discussion
    seems to address a lot of the questions and comments in this thread.

Don't be put off by the title, it's poorly titled.

jd41 and turtlecreek like this.
  7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If I am interpreting the whole sin unleashed in the world thing correctly, kids get cancer because total strangers spill their seed on the ground. Remember that the next time that you get too vigorous with your scrubbing in the shower, sinners.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Hear that, Cannoli?

9. turtlecreek

mongo said it...must be so.

10. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

You forgot choice # 3 ... that’s to safely land that plane on a treadmill :D

11. turtlecreek

Nice post IYC. for those that don't want to spend 2 hours, take a look at these marks. i tried to list them in order of relevance, but all are pretty good:
    ~minute:
    49:50-55+ (what makes you a good person and rolls into sky daddy discussion), 1:04-1:15+ (this one is an intellectual version of many of these religious threads in the dungeon..we aren't near as smart as we think we are. :) ), 30, 119 that's as far as i got so far. happy Sunday!!

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Einstein, arguably one of the smartest people, was onboard with Spinoza's view. Not having known of Spinoza until just this last week, and having read some of his work (difficult reading as his use of language is much higher than mine, has a scientific bend and it's delivered in what I would call Old English), I find myself relating to his concept...it's very similar to how I've always felt about the God question.
    For those of you with the traditional God as your personal savior, you won't like Spinoza. He'll tell you you're view is selfish and shallow.

A manual of that scope and seeming randomness is of little use to the layperson that doesn't bury their nose in it 24/7. Our lives change daily. What's read in the Bible today tells us nothing of where we are or where we'll be tomorrow.
    We ain't got no monks to help us with that here on the Beeb.

What's needed is a map*. Where could we find a map of such universal inclusion?
    When God speaks to us (if we're not labeled psychotic), or we attempt to use the "manual", are the route and pitfalls in our immediate vicinity gonna be shown or are we just told to "follow"?
    What if there are multiple bypasses to the obstacles, scenic routes, short cuts or the long road? I want to see where I'm at, where I'm going and the alternate routes to the destination. How can I be a witness to my struggle if I'm being blindly led?
    What's the alternative, to be blindly wandering on my own?
    I'm not here to be blind either way.

Imagine arriving at this life's destination that may, depending on your view of such things, be reached by a number of methods and being asked by other "travelers", "How was your journey?" only to have this as an answer...
    "I don't know...I didn't see a fuckin' thing." :D

* I ain't openin' another can of' worms.

13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

As Iv`e been taught, God doesn`t make things happen or stop things directly. It`s up to the individual to live the word, and that gets you through life.

Doesn`t mean there won`t be tragedy or bad things happen. It`s how you handle those things and treat people.

Everyone seems to think he takes care of their every need. That`s the fairytale. imho.

What a surprise that people want their problems solved for them.

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Shankar had a very interesting piece on Hidden Brain yesterday on the role of successful religions in socializing groups and taming bad (social) behavior. It was a take I had never heard. Its not up on the podcast site, but I am sure will be soon.

I'm an athiest, and even I can see Tiggen's point about cancer, a child, and god. Some of you fucks are mean. :D

15. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

We had the Garden of Eden. We broke the rules/didnt follow the manual. We couldn't resist temptation and used our free will to do the wtong thing. We have been doing more and more bad things as time goes on.

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I was home sick that day.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

An apple a day keeps the doctor away... :Poke:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mongo said your answers don't match the question. That is an absolute fact.

You are the one who said there was one line that shows god doesn't need instructions and so on - yet you also say the bible is a manual - which is it? Your the one making these statements not me. I'm merely trying to figure out what it is you are saying.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The bible didn't exist so there was no manual at the time other than what if any instructions god gave directly to Adam.

So if I have you right, the entire reason kids get cancer is because Eve wouldn't listen?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

It is up now and worth the listen.