1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are left turns intuitive and rights are....

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by tanks95, Apr 10, 2012.

1. tanks95

tanks95 Well-Known Member

Okay, so why do left turns seem to be easier than right turns (for me)? Right turn take extra brain power?

My wife says its not natural to turn right?

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I have a similar issue but its much less of an issue for me then it used to be. For me it's lacking smoothness combining throttle/brake application while bending my wrist to hang off the bike while turning in while having. The other issue is most (all?) tracks I've ridden on all have slower right turns at the end of the straights and many of the lefts are usually higher apex speed turns. The fix for me adjusting my bars a little wider and more seat time focusing on being smooth with my wrist bent.

3. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

I have this same issue. Pushing the clip-ons forward like suggested in the previous post makes a big difference. I just went to my first left hand track and it was awesome! Wish they were all CCW.

4. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I think it has to do with throttle maintenance and counter steering for me.

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

A bicycle has the chain and shifting components on the right. They hedge their bets you'll fall left. I don't think it's a coincidence. The heart is left of center. So I won't deny I love turning left. :up:

6. joec

joec brace yourself

nascar

7. tanks95

tanks95 Well-Known Member

hmmm, i have considered both. BUT i know the body of this spider problem is smoothness. Ill work on that first and then attack one of the legs, the clip ons.

im 6'1 and i have seen a few taller guys bikes with wider clip ons than Original. i may try that to?

8. Italiantwin04

Italiantwin04 Well-Known Member

+1 for wider clip ons. I'm 6'0" with very wide shoulders and moving the clip ons out helped me a great deal. I recently had a GSXR 600 that had stock clip ons and I never could get comfortable on it because the bars were too narrow for me. The wider clip ons keep me from having to bend my wrist as much in right hand corners and thus make it much easier to be smooth with the brake and the throttle.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I used to think lefts were more intuitive as well, but after spending some time on a right-hand biased track, lefts feel weird now.

seat time cures all.

10. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

Seat time and possibly the amount of left vs. right turns you encounter wherever you ride, methinks.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've always thought it was based on your dominant leg - I'm left footed and feel more comfy on right hand turns.

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

When I first started track riding I was way more comfortable with lefts, than rights. After a few years now, I'm just as comfortable with either.

I always attributed mine to riding on the street. I never used to be comfortable railing around right's due to the fact that if I binned it, I'd be in oncoming traffic. Left's would "only" put you in the ditch, not under a car.

Now I'm not comfortable riding on the street at all :crackup:

13. loudog

loudog ...inside the van.

Interesting theory. I'm left footed and more comfortable in rights as well.

14. Badmeat

Badmeat Well-Known Member

I'm left footed, but right handed. More comfortable in lefts.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

want to throw a wrench into the mix... my friend (right hand/right leg dominant) took his bike on a dominantly left turn track (very little drive on the right side) and wore the shit out of the right side of a brand new rear tire down to beyond usable. Left side still has at least a day left on it.

I would not believe it if I didnt install the tire myself.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What about your dominant eye? I'm left eye dominant but right handed so I'm a mess. When I only rode on the street I always felt better turning right because I was turning away from oncoming traffic. Now that I rarely do that anymore and the track I go to has mainly lefts, left turns feel more comfortable. Strange.......

17. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Coming from a dirt track racing background, I found it much harder to turn right. So I forced myself to be mentally focused on the right hand turns much more, and after a few track days, I was fairly comfy turning either way, although sliding is still more comfy that than sliding right..:D

18. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Just ride Tally. You will be fine.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

primitive instinct. which side of your body are you more willing to sacrifice?
    keep in mind high-siding is new to evolution.
    :D

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here, not sure if I was supposed to be a full lefty and it got trained out of me in school or what :)