1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's switching to Dunlop NTech's In 2011

Discussion in 'General' started by RollieManollie, Oct 19, 2010.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What brand of tire?

Ever physically measure the Pirelli 180 and the Dunlop 190?

2. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

umm, I worked at GMD...We measured a lot of stuff. And I was referring to the Dunlop. I realize I didn't make that clear. Sorry.

3. metricdevilmoto

So then you know exactly what I'm saying.

Kind of hard to compare grip on a 180 Dunlop slick vs. a 195 Dunlop slick considering the 180 doesn't exist (as far as I know). Since, as far as the average club racer is concerned, the 195 is the only slick available from Dunlop, that's the tire run on 5.5" and 6" (and wider) rims.

However, when you look at the DOTs, it makes a bit more sense.

When you are comparing brands, the lines in the sand aren't so clear. I was specifically referring to racers on Pirellis running the 190s on a 5.5" rim because the Dunlops guys were running 190s on a 5.5" rim ... but only because there were no 180s.

4. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i know a few people that switched from pirelli to dunlops and instantly dropped there lap times, (people i told to run dunlops earlier...) now they love em

5. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

still not true.....different riding styles will get different results on the same tire, while all are still maintaining the same laptimes......just because you can't/don't spin the tire on a 600 does not mean someone else will have the same results.....:up:

6. mattg

mattg Well-Known Member

since the money sucks with (almost) any tire, why now just run whatever tires you find to be the best?

I haven't found anything I like better than Dunlops, but some like others for their own reasons.

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I was one of them. Sam was another. They do take some getting used to. I like them because they are not as squishy as the Pirellis and though you can get them to spin they hook up a lot earlier.

8. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Since people are asking about longevity, we have run the 6680 Ntec slicks on both a gsxr 750 and 1000 for a 3 hr endurance race at Nelsons. We began the race running mid 8s and 9s and at 3 hours were still running low 10s. We did 151 laps and the tires were still predictable and had grip. To me that is pretty incredible.

9. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

damn you're fast :D

Not really.....I'm talking about Jeffro

Ok, not really.....maybe Peters is :D

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

I wish we had more people like Metric Devil in the paddock...

What he posted here is absolutely correct..!!

:up:

11. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I just try to keep the team's tires warm.;)

12. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

IMO until you are getting very close to the limits of the tire, it is mostly a mental issue. I am not fast, but I went 2 seconds faster on a set of Dragon SC Pro than I did on Diablo SC... same day same track, no other changes to the bike. That makes no sense... if it were because of the tires.

13. Racer45

I'm sure you do a good job at it

14. nmbike13

nmbike13 Well-Known Member

I am an expert racer with the CCS SW series, and I have been running the Dunlop N-Tec slicks and DOT's on my R6 exclusively. Everyone is correct when it comes to these tires - The grip is excellent, and they last a long time. I get a new set every race weekend, and after racing on them I run them in t-days and race practice until the next race day where I put on another fresh set. When I take them off, they typically have 50-100 laps on them, and the tires still hook like glue and run very fast lap times. I am in the process of switching to Pirelli as Dunlop contingency out here is horrible. $100 for an expert win on Dunlops, and $375 for a win with Pirelli. I have heard good things about the new Pirelli World Super Sport spec 180 (which I will be running), but I have never rode Pirelli tires so I don’t really know what to expect. From everything I hear on this thread the Pirellis tend to squirm a bit because of the softer carcass. I agree that you can go fast on any of the tires offered these days. Most of it comes to rider preference and the ability to mentally adapt to a new tire.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  15. metricdevilmoto

A lot of riders who are used to the feel of the Dunlops make the transition to Pirellis on the SC3 front. Different riders interpret the "squirm" different ways. For some riders, it's another form of feedback (especially from the front) that they use to determine grip. For others, the squirm is too much info and they prefer to have it tuned out because it's either distracting or shakes their confidence.

16. Nice work. This post got us at least 2 more pages. :up:

17. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

+1. Dale is great and doesn't always try to sell me new tires when I don't need them. More than a few times he's looked at my tires and told me to keep riding as they didn't need replacing yet.

18. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

Why NTech, This Why NTech

Ntech make fat sucky rider fast

Attached Files:

19. Racer45

must be a chic riding that Duc with the long hair sticking out :moon:

20. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

There are a few dunlop 180 slicks, i ran them till the first wknd it rained.