1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's ready for Supercross to begin next Sunday afternoon?

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., May 24, 2020.

1. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Rained again before 250 group B practice. No pressure for quick times in practice, other than gate picks. Only 38 250 entries, 40 450 entries.

Raining again now, after B group finished. 250 group A heading out on track now.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Should be pretty clear for the next couple hours at least.

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Why was SLC chosen for multiple races? Is it a popular location, or was it just venue availability?

What's the status of the nearby road course?

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Don't know if any specific reason was given, but given the history the state has with MX/SX, other "extreme sports" and the fact that the state never went into lockdown (although left wing city did), I'm sure there were relationships used to make a deal happen.
    As for the road course an hour or so away from there, the local race series had an event there last week and has one in a couple weeks.

YamahaRick likes this.
  5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Good races in 250 and 450

Bloodhound likes this.
  6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Very good night of races! Was nice to see the passing taking place in the 450s but what happened to Roczen? He was like 2 laps down.

7. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

He got really sick with a respiratory something or other month ago and never fully recovered. He made a long post on ig. Makes me think twice before getting rona, a few pro athletes nevery fully recovered from it. Not that he had rona but any bad sickness.

8. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Twas a good 450 race.

socalrider likes this.
  9. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

great 450 race. as much as i was hoping Roczen would get a championship, it looks like Tomac is sealing the deal this year.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Gotta be venue, SLC is great if you don't have to draw fans. If you do then it's not so good.

Once a Wanker.. and YamahaRick like this.
  11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

State Covid restrictions acceptable, low cost of stadium rental, remote location means isolation from outside influences, summer availability of winter ski lodging facilities, and I'm sure several other aspects I'm not thinking of, has made it a great option to get the series over with promptly. I applaud their careful and innovative thinking and planning to improvise a succinct end to the delayed series!

Boman Forklift and YamahaRick like this.
  12. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Let's bump this one!

Spoiler Alert!!!!

Congrats to ET3!

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

That 250 East Heat Race was gnarly.

evakat and DmanSlam like this.
  14. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I'm glad SX was able to finish out the season. It was a good ending. Looking forward to the NHL do the same this summer.

15. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I kept wondering why they didn't go to Sam Boyd stadium in Vegas???

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The air was let out of the balloon way too early for me when Forkner effed up. I had this scenario in my mind where he would put another block pass on Ferrandis to even the score and end up taking the championship by the slimmest of margins. I had little interest in the rest of the show after that was no longer an option.

Bloodhound likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd bet SLC was cheaper and possibly less shut down with regard to hotels and such.

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

SLC was already the final round of the series this year. Once the world went whack job and it was clear they would be able to run races here, I am certain the "let's work it out for 7 races" discussions went pretty easy.
    I haven't heard why they never looped outside the stadium for any of the races, since the course for the final event was supposed to do so and the dirt is there. Would have made for a better course instead of the tight courses they have to use to stay completely inside the tiny field area there.

19. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Same here...with 4 point (IIRC) behind that was the points race to watch and I was hoping this would be his and Tomacs year.

20. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Did the spacing and location of the team trucks/pits have an impact on being able to extend the tracks outside the stadium?