1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's ready for Supercross to begin next Sunday afternoon?

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., May 24, 2020.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Doh! Must be living in 2016 still, as I had totally forgotten about JGR switching from Yamaha to Suzuki. The boy is on Dunlops, so yeah, that's not an excuse.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yeah what he said!
    Pirelli has won SX heat races & mains in the last 10 years, so they do work. From an outdoor standpoint the long p has 72 MX championships in the last 40 years, which is more than the other 3 guys combined.

3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

the old Pirelli sandcross tire for the WIN! circa 1987. LOL! yeah, i'm old. Ski

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So you have to go back 10 years? I actually don't follow supercross like MA, but that just sounds funny when you go back 10 years or 40 years. I was in software sales for 20 years and it was always what have you done for me lately?

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Hey Rob SX has been changing in the last 20 years. There was a point when Bstone was the dominant tire but they pulled out 10 years ago. And while D has been extremely successful in NA it's not the case in the rest of the world

6. Boman Forklift

I presume you understand why that sounded funny to me? 20-40 years is multiple lifetime cycles to most of the racers on here.

Hell, 40 years ago I wasn't even old enough to legally drive and 30 years ago I raced Dunlop 591's which were Harley street tires 25 years ago.

What have you done for me lately, baby?

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yeah I got it. And I remember guys racing on K391 race tires lol.

8. Boman Forklift

LOL, that was before my times, and I thought 591's made me a fossil. When did they race 391's?

9. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Damn, I raced on 81's

10. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

We must have been racing around the same time. I used the 591R and it was a far better tire than I was a rider. I remember paying about $175 a set and using them at least two weekends, sometimes three weekends. Great stuff, at the time

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Pfft. I rode my first road race on K-70's.

12. Boman Forklift

I can't remember how much they were? When Tyler raced he asked me and I told him I thought they were around $300 way back in 90-92 timeframe when I raced. Your price makes more sense considering they are around $400 now, I think?

13. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

The $175 price was from 1988, when I first started racing. The available rubber matched up to the available machines real well.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

So true on tires matching the pace. I raced 3 classes a weekend and would get a new set each month out at Willow.

I grew up drag racing motorcycles with my dad in the midwest. My bike had a 1260 kit, and nitrous back in 83-85 timeframe and felt pretty quick then. I ended up taking a California Superbike School with my dad at Mid Ohio and realized those little Kawi 600's could go plenty quick when you have turns. :crackup:

I remember telling Tyler, ever since you raced a SV650, you have been road racing quicker bikes then I ever did with my 89 FZR600, so I don't really know how it feels with modern 600's or 1000's.

15. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

So, Supercross? Who you got? I’ve got Tomac.

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for Tomac but hoping he plays it safe instead of a win it or bin it mentality... Roczen I think is coming out hungry.

17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Roczen will be on point, Anderson could be a sleeper after leaving Aldon, training, riding for himself. Cooper will be up there with Tomac, A.C. and dont forget Musquin is back too. cant count out Bam Bam either. 5-8 people can win any given night/day. Ski

18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. The field this year is stacked with guys who can win, it's just consistency for the title is the difficult part.

19. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

By the end of the night it'll be interesting to see who has kept up with their training over the forced break.

Hoping for Tomac, Roczen, Marvin, Tickle, BamBam (just be use it'll be fun to watch him get there) and hopefully Plessinger puts in a good ride. Savatgy will be back and healthy? Could be fun to watch.

Anyone know the status of Weston Peick? I know he's riding again but wasn't sure if he was going to return to SX or what.

20. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Without a doubt, it's going to be an exciting 4 weeks. I expect Eli and Ken will be near the front, if they get decent starts. Everyone else wants to prove they have what it takes to 'win' the second half of the interrupted series. I agree with you all, every single race could be won by someone different. I will be watching it all, and curious to see if J.A. has found a solution to his well documented altitude issues, especially with him leaving Aldon's camp.