1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's racing and what you got?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by trispdtrip, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I figured the rear never left the ground, would still hurt when the front lands, not like you have power to ease the front wheel down :D

2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

3 hp is wicked if you are not good with throttle control..... :crackup:

3. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Cam runs with the start/run switch in the "start" mode...traction control!:rolleyes:

4. fireman343

fireman343 Well-Known Member

What motor kit do you have? Is it stock??
    When I had the old BBR120 kit on, it was very manageable, now with the Tak 124 kit and all the other things I've done to it, it's REAL sensitive and throttle control is key! I whacked the throttle coming out of a corner and the rear went to the front before I knew it! Lol
    Anyway, I'm still testing gearing, but ran my fastest laps last year with my settings.. I know there is more, so I'll play with it some more this season.. But... I run anywhere from a 14-16 front and 38-40 rear. I normally leave the 38 rear on and just swap fronts. But, like I said, I want to play with it a little and maybe try a 36 for our longer kart tracks.

Here is a video of one of my races last year. 02R6 was hot on my butt, so I messed up a few times, but stayed in the lead. I think this race I ran my fastest lap of the season with a 14/38??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhZWCWUdpDk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Thanks. I am not sure what all has been done to the bike before. I know the guy raced it for a couple of years. He now has a really nice RS125 with a CRF150 in it and just built his daughter an NSR with an XR100 engine. Nice bikes. The YSR has a lifan 125 pitbike engine in it.

6. fireman343

Just got my son a KLX110! A huge step up from a PW50! Lol
    Looking to mount some TT92's on it soon!!
    [​IMG]

7. NateDawg122

NateDawg122 Active Member

Put the Bridgestone Bt601s on there instead. They are infinitely better than the Dunlops.

8. fireman343

Nate, I know man! I've used them and LOVE them... But, they are hard to get and cost as much as a set of tires for a 600. lol
    He will learn how to ride it in the dirt 1st, and get use to shifting and the extra power of the KLX vs his old PW.

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

TT92s suck if your boy has to race against someone on better tires. My boy crashed repeatedly on the dunlops. Changed tires and lap times went down and crashes were greatly reduced. Get him the good tires as soon as he gets up to speed.

10. fireman343

yep, yep.. I know.. I like the 92's and I run the same lap times (maybe a 10th lower on the BT's) but we will see how he does. I don't expect him to drag knee first time out on pavement! lol

11. NateDawg122

NateDawg122 Active Member

Get them from Stickboy. I highly doubt they are anything over $180 for a pair from him. For me on my 65 the Bridgestones are probably worth around 3 tenths a lap if not more, they just have so much more grip under deep braking and full lean. But your right just get your son used to the bike but before he races I would get him the better tires.

12. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

What tire do you guys recomend for a xr100? 16inch wheels.

13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

There's not much out there for the oem narrow 16's. I have the pirelli diablo scooter tires and they are OK at best.

14. KILLA1

KILLA1 Orange Suzuki = MY HERO

I got a 2004 70cc Metrakit that I don't need anymore....jus saying :up:

gonna be listing it in the classifieds today prolly :D

15. blackbird2xx

blackbird2xx Well-Known Member

how much?:confused:

16. Cam Morehead

Bridgestone BT45 100/90-16 and 110/90-16" Awesome grip!

17. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Ok, I thought that was a good run to run but wasnt sure. Thought I better make sure there wasnt something else out that that i wasnt aware of. Thanks

18. Cam Morehead

We have tried ALL of them and BT45 smokes them all.....

19. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

88 YSR 50

[​IMG]

Bought it off a former WERA/OMRL racer at the beginning of last year. Has way too much trick stuff on it that I can't begin utilize yet. I went out with OMRL at Beaver once last year(thanks for the hospitality Brian I plan on doing more this year) and did terrible but had a ton of fun.

It is also my WERA pitbike but unfortunately out of the 6 weekends I did last year, only 1 event had enough minis to run the class!! So I really hope to see more this year in the northeast!

20. fireman343

Good deal man, I hope you can make it out more as well! We have the big Eastern Mini Championship at Pitt Race (BeaveRun) again in Aug! Hope you can bring that YSR back out!
    And if I'm around for any of the WERA races, I'll bring my mini!