1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's interested in minimoto track days at DMVMiniGP near BWI?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by DmanSlam, Sep 7, 2020.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

A small, and hopefully growing, group of us are wanting to get a regularly, recurring private track day rental going at the karting track near BWI airport.

Who's interested?

What days are you most likely to attend?

What time(s) of day are you most likely to attend?

How much are you expecting to pay for an all-day riding session?

Are you able to help volunteer, during a private track day rental, at the DMVminiGP partner.

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Why not just attend the regular practice days? Plenty of track time for under $60.

3. DmanSlam

Used to be 'plenty of track time'. When's the last time you were there? See attached.

At DMVminigp, the hours have changed drastically -- for minimoto and competition karts -- Fridays and Sunday from 8am - 12 noon.

Not a lot of track time anymore.

dmvminigp-sked.JPG

4. Spang308

Haha, is for my old ass. I was there Sunday morning. They've been half day sessions since opening this year I think. Last year was all day. They make a ton more off rental karts than they do with us.

5. DmanSlam

Agreed that the rental karts are money-makers. The schedule earlier this year was where minimoto/comp karts/rental kart groups shared the track for about 8 hours on Fridays/Saturdays. That reduced due to rental crowd disliking the long wait times for the other groups. Anyhow, the comp karts are in the same boat as the mini motos.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Do they have a rental fleet yet? They told us last year they would be doing that. We have a zombie ttr90 with street tires.......but it’s clapped out like an SV now.

7. DmanSlam

@britx303 I'm aware of two bike rentals. I know one is an XR/CRF100. Not sure of the other bike. The bike rental hasn't really taken off yet due to the liability concerns. Anyone can drive a kart but DMVminigp is still unsure of the best way to vet someone wanting to rent their bikes and not crashing/injuring themselves.

8. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Interested. Likely would attend about once a month (I'm three hours away in Richmond). Day not so specific as I'm willing to take off to do it. whatever day traffic would be best is best for me. Also, weather is a consideration. Probably wouldn't be there when it's in the 90s. Time? Mornings to after lunch. Love it to be $80 or less. Yes, I'll volunteer. Curious to know what it costs to rent the place and how many we would need to make it feasible, since they're not open everyday. Kudos to you, Sir.

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'll just get my ass out of bed and pay the $60 and avoid the complicated bullshit.

10. DmanSlam

That's almost funny. Almost...

11. Spang308

They have a couple bikes. XR and a Kawi I think. $100 plus a $50 crash deposit.

12. Spang308

The first day I did there was noon-5. That's convenient for me as I'm over an hour away, but I have to admit the 8-noon slot has it's benefits. The temps are cooler and I'm home by 1:30 and have the rest of the day open to do stuff. Just requires I load the night before and like you drag my old ass out of bed by 6am.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. StaccatoFan

Wasn’t any humor meant there whatsoever.

14. StaccatoFan

Exactly. 4 hours is plenty of time to practice and still have the rest of the day. And it helps me maybe get better at focusing earlier in the morning. I’m known for skipping first session at track days because I’m just not awake yet.

15. Spang308

My drive accomplishes that, especially dodging dipshits on 695 on my way there.

16. DmanSlam

exactly

17. britx303

What’s the actual fee to rent the track for a day? And is it renting from United?

18. StaccatoFan

There's the rental fee, plus the question of insurance(s) they will possibly require for the person signing the contract with the track as well.
    That's the "complicated bullshit" I'm referring to that blows the cost benefit equation all to hell.

0800 and $60's enough for me. And, if Devin wants to be a complete dickbag about things and eliminate Mini-Moto from his facility, there's going to be others that pop up..Pastrana's facility over the bridge, and I have no problem going to NJMP to ride ALL day for about $100 if I have to do that commute.
    Done it before, and can do it again.

19. britx303

We’ve been sneaking the ttr90 across the street to the elementary school parking lot we use for mini-ing it all spring/summer.........it’s great being in the country:D She almost wiped out BIG(for a mini) her first time taking a corner on pavement. She’s used to sliding the rear to turn and it didn’t slide like she’s flatracking :crackup:#prouddadofdaughtersthatride:D Yeah, sounds like trying to rent/run the track for a day is going to be a pita. 30 seconds from home and were grinding knee pucks

20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

When did NJMP turn to $100? Used to be 60 or 65 and ride all day.