1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who tows with a van?

Discussion in 'General' started by JBowen33, May 24, 2018.

1. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Idk if I’d go the older style van like the E series. I don’t like the low roof and high bumper. The newer style appeals to me much more. As someone mention above I get the point that most get vans so they don’t have to tow a trailer and if it was just me or even just me and the dog like it used to be for me years ago I would do just that. Now with my son, my wife and our dog plus having the convienence of showering in my own shower and using my own toilet I’d never go back to not having a hauler. Just a few weeks ago I did an open day at NJMP and in the morning it was 38 degrees outside with light rain. I was inside my hauler staying warm and dry while I watched everyone outside freeze and get soaked. Same goes for the AC and the comfortable bed I never want to go without on the road.

I just want more room. Ideally a short wheelbase duell wheel mid high roof diesel sprinter would be the set up I think.

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

My '07 E250 with 225k miles on the 5.4, towed my boat a helluvalot better than my Chevy 2500 HD crew/4x4 with the 6.0.

Got rid of the van and truck, and got a Ford Excursion with the V10 for my towing/traveling nowadays.

[​IMG]

JBowen33 likes this.
  3. JBowen33

Hows pulling that thing up the boat ramp with no 4wd?

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Quick search tells me the Promaster and earlier (to '06) Sprinters are rated for 5K towing. The new Sprinters and Transits are up to 7500 (with certain configs.). The guy that sold me my '06 Sprinter used it to pull a 5K camper on a trip out west with his wife and TEN kids, said it towed well. Unless you have a really blinged out truck now, I can't see how a new van that can do what you want will cost the same or less.

5. Tristan

I'm always looking, and there are a ton of used Transits on the market, but 95% of them are low roof with the base gas V6

6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Seeing the same thing, we're gonna look for a high top 148" wheelbase at some point. It's gonna be a tough find used.

7. Tristan

I want a 148 extended with at least the medium roof, I'm ok with any of the engine offerings. Hopefully by the time the old Sprinter dies there'll be more selection.

8. PMooney Jr.

Yep, market will keep getting bigger. Only been out since 15'

9. JBowen33

It’s not the money part it’s the fact I want more room. I ultimately would like to put my z125 and bike in the van and keep the toyhauler empty of stuff. My toy hauler is small and doesn’t have a separate garage. My wife suggested/told (lol) that we should get a bigger one. I rather not.

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

Pat, I’m interested in your Chevy if you ever want to sell

PMooney Jr. likes this.
  11. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Just wanted to pop in and say if you love your 7.3 but are looking to upgrade Swamps has different “power packages”. I just put their 425whp kit in my truck with larger injector nozzles. It should be more like 450whp when it’s done due to the larger nozzles. Add a BTS transmission and you’ll have a truck/van that’ll have more power than the new 6.7 diesel without the monthly payment.

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I used the 4x4 truck to put it in/out of the water.

The van towed it when i bought it from out of state and to take the boat to the upholsterer, or the boat shop, or winter storage, etc....

13. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

That's way harder in the 7.3 vans. They don't have an intercooler and making room for one is a huge custom job. It's been done, but heat management is a huge issue for them.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  14. PMooney Jr.

Most likely we'll keep it as another spare vehicle but I'll keep that in mind if we decide to let her go.