1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who knew club racing could actually look exciting?

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Tell us something new.:D

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

You forgot to mention that you are trying to kill motorcycle road-racing also, Sean.

:timeforabeer: :beer: :bow: :blart:

3. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Mongo is a dinosaur that is out of touch with the new breed of racers! (Hey, someone had to say it!:crackup:)

You are correct, Herrin has made a huge difference in the sport with social media. What others don't realize is the next generation of riders from the West Coast has HIS stamp on them. Herrin and I have had differences but at the end of the day the kids have emulated his style via his personal coaching. Done for free. I'd say he has single handedly revived mini racing left of the Mississippi. Opinion based on personal experience.

With that said, I'm seeing a whole bunch of what can WERA do to get more racers. However I haven't seen what ANYONE posting here has done to increase grid sizes. Yes, it actually falls on the individual racers to grow the sport in my opinion.

While in Phoenix the Mini bike scene was almost nonexistent. The Super Moto's ruled the mini track. The wife and I hounded our Cycle Gear for a few months to let the kids do simple circles with their 50's in the parking lot during bike nights. Soon videos were being taken and was shared on the local FB moto groups. Using our own social media exposure was getting around to most of Phoenix. Soon the inbox was filling up with "How do I get into that". We would even let other ride our motos at the track to get people in it. We also did the exact same for the Flat Track org. When we left the mini track had to have three groups and the Super Moto guys got outnumbered. The Flat Track also seen a huge jump in grid sizes.

We as a whole simple need to get involved locally. Join / create some rides in your area. Support / create some bike nights. Show your local bike shops VALUE to support the sport and local racers. It's freaking hard work and you will be told "No" multiple times. Being relentless and persistent is key. Hell it took me a couple years to convince the local big track day org to permit my kids on the track.

Fort Wayne has been a bit tougher but simply because of my lack of TRY and time.

Wheel Bearing and SGVRider like this.
  4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

This. Those promotional items are all well and good, but what’s the objective? To bring in spectators? To bring in more racers? Spectators won’t show up to watch club racing unless they’re already interested in racing or have a connection to someone at the track. So maybe it’ll make an impact at the margins to build awareness etc., but organic conversion on social media is a tough hill to climb. Racers who want to race will find events, or get hooked up with it by word of mouth.

Racers are probably going to come from the ranks of people who are obsessed and deadset on racing, or up from some other form of racing. Is there anyone who was actually prepared to race that was unaware there was a CRA race? I highly doubt it.

What I’ve been extremely interested in is Moto Gymkhana.
    That seems like the absolutely perfect event to get people into racing. All you need is to rent a parking lot, obtain some type of insurance (which might be the most difficult part), and put up cones and some fencing to keep back spectators. Looking at what they do in Japan, it seems like they just show up with lights and license plates and minimal class structures, maybe 2-3. Minimal preparation and being able to ride to the event are key. You could have a couple small purses, or prizes from local sponsors. There’s an org putting on Moto Gymkhana events in SoCal, I think it’s a passion project of one dude.

It’s 100% about logistics. America has heavily urbanized and the logistics of getting out to a track and obtaining the accoutrements to race are daunting. The unaffordable price of housing in major American metros will also put a damper on racing I expect, as you need space and a garage to work on and keep all your bike shit.

MiniMoto is awesome and addresses a lot of the issues, but it still requires dedicated equipment. If it could be held in parking lots and someone were willing/able to supply rental bikes it would do a lot to bring people in.

FastByKids likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I want what this guy is smoking, WTF.

6. FastByKids

If you disagree then state why?

The Mongo comment was in jest.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

All I could think of when reading your post (well ALL your posts actually) is what an asshole you are…

:D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a good thing I'm pretty to make up for it.

noles19 and Monsterdood like this.
  9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Not Mongo the other one. I see your opinion and I'd like you to back it up with some actual data please, and of course data about the m/c industry and racing too.

10. FastByKids

Instagram: 189k followers
    Facebook : 274k followers
    YouTube: 53k followers

Oh-vale USA
    Ducati
    Herrin Compound
    Apex Racing Center
    Coaches / Mentors

Ambassador to NFL / MOTO 2 / Retired MotoGP ---athletes

I'm sure there is more but this is a quick list.

Many kids under the age of 15 most likely has his personal cell phone number for coaching/advise.

What other US racer does as much for the sport? Serious question.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How have his followers translated into mini grids growing? Is UMRA expanding? How about the other Cali orgs?

I've had his cell number for a long long time now, hasn't gotten me to grid up and race...

As an organizer running mini races in the Southeast, the Herrin compound has taken away from our grids more than added to them. Now on that note, I'm good with it, we never did minis as more than an option for either pit bike shenanigans or for kids to try out big tracks. The HC is a much better choice for a series type of deal. But it has taken a lot of the former racers and non racers that would have run our mini stuff if there wasn't another better option.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Local radio interview?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can pay radio peeps to come out and do a remote but that requires paying them and an ad buy. Getting on a show requires an ad buy, the more popular the show the more time or better time they require you to pay for.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW all of those radio interviews and TV interviews on talk shows that come off as infomercials - that's exactly what they are, they bought the air time.

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I was thinking an interview ahead of time for more spectators. Tough to promote I know, my brother does/did some dirt track promoting I got to see how much effort the 'easy' task was :crackup:

Of course there is always topless corner workers..... :beer:

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah that's the kind of thing that requires you buy a bunch of ads first, then the sales peeps set up a time for an interview if you've spent enough.

Topless CW's would either be extremely scary if it's most of our normal crews or if we hire from local clubs (and some of our current crew) extremely...interesting. Either way it would cause a ton of crashes :crackup:

sheepofblue likes this.
  17. FastByKids

You don't think there is any bleed over from his followers that will make the transition from street to mini / club? I'd venture to say when he is out doing a local ride, he does talk about going to the track, but I'm only assuming.

The California mini racing scene was very hard for us to understand. The competition was the absolute toughest we have faced thus far. (However Ohio Mini Racing League has really surprised us this year) There are some phenomenal people we have met and have become close friends with many. BUT - Everybody always start to listen after saying BUT. The actual leadership inside the actual orgs just seem to be at odds with each other. (personal observation and opinion) One of the personalities inside another mini org is a very tough character to take although I think he means well. To put it bluntly they are sitting on a gold mine, they just need better leadership to put it all together.

Well, the mini's are a very economical option from what you offer. Some other factors is your mini venues are a exercise in WOT and engine rebuilding. Skills aren't really developed. I just got done redoing ANOTHER three top ends from the damage Barber GNF caused. :crackup:

Most likely a unpopular opinion, but I've told many--- if you can't win a a race in the minis then you most likely won't be on a podium in club.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have absolutely no idea if there is or not. I've not had anyone contact us saying Josh told them they should go racing.

I don't disagree, I was merely going off of your assertion that Joshs followers translate to racers.

19. FastByKids

Well if that is all you want to hear, I'll make sure you get three rippers to tell you. But I'm sure they will talk to Evelyn---they think you are scary....:crackup:

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Oops

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022