1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who are our FFL guys here. I have some questions to ask.

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Feb 11, 2019.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

How wierd is it we typed the NFA stuff in the same order. They are tons of fun but the wait have some not going for it and full auto has gotten stupid expensive.

2. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Our shop had a real M16. Sold for $24,000.

SpeedyE and Fencer like this.
  3. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

While we are learning. How is that different froma class 3 tax stamp?

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ask the manly questions mang, what the fee for a silencer? Is it a one time fee?

5. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Same deal
    $200 One time per item

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

NFA=Negative Fucking Attitude:beer:

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

that means that they can make them and sell them. And have cool things that others can't really have (i.e. they can actually make a full auto rifle, but it won't be "transferrable" meaning they can't sell it, but they can play with it as long as they maintain their FFL/SOT.

Most of the NFA items incur a one time $200 "tax stamp" to purchase paid to the US Govt. Plus the LONG wait to actually get your background check done once you submit your information. Typically these days it's 8-13 months to get your stamp back before you can actually pick up and take home the item you paid for a year ago. AND you have to do this for each item. Want to buy another suppressor? Pay another $200 tax and wait another 8-13 months for that stamp to come back before you can take your next one home.

I have a 22 and 45 cans suppressors "in jail" waiting for my stamps to come back. I still have a while to go and the govt shutdown didn't help. Will probably order a 30 cal rifle can in the next few months, hopefully the wait times will go down again. But probably not.

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

My friend waited over a year on his tax stamp here in N. Carolina. I never did find out why

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Form 3 is direct purchase from a store. It doesn't matter if it's a suppressor, short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, or transferrable full auto. The tax stamp cost is $200.
    Form 1 is that you make the item yourself. It can only be a suppressor, SBR, SBS. The item needs to be engraved with the name of the person/trust and the city/state. Example: Fencer Smith, Montgomery Alabama. The tax stamp is also $200.

I'm unclear on Any Other Weapons (AOW) for both cost and under which license, as I've never explored them.

Form 2 is for importing.
    Form 4 is for transferring an item from one Class-3 dealer to another (if I sold you my suppressor, you would pay a Form 3 and a form 4 to transfer it to your dealer. $200 x 2 in stamps)

If you really want to look, go here; https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-forms

Fencer likes this.
  10. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Dealer to dealer is no cost and it takes only a fraction of the time for paper work to go through. So if someone were to buy a suppressor you bought not built it’s only $200. Plus any transfer fee a dealer would charge.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Since we're in here getting random... if I want to get some engraving done, I assume easiest way is to buy the gun and get it done before they release it to me from the store, and have them send it out and get it returned before I take ownership? Rather than take it back to have it sent out? Or what's the best way to go about that? Also, if its a place out of state, do I have to pay transfer fees back and forth?

Also, who is real awesome at doing filigree and stuff that won't take a year to get it back? Anyone in MD that does that really well?

12. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

It took 9 months to get mine back for my Kriss Vector SBR. I don't think the state matters as everything is sent to the ATF?

Shenanigans likes this.
  13. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Jim Downing in MO
    Depends on ffls on cost of moving guns back and forth. Some charge regular transfer fee and some charge less.

I’ve seen it take from 12 to 8 months. The last class 3 I did took 8 months but that number is probably up if for no other reason they were off a month.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If the person doing the engraving is a gunsmith(by default, and FFl if I'm understanding that correctly), then no, there are no transfer fees and they can send it back to you directly, because there is no change in ownership.

15. Sweatypants

oh. i was thinking you needed some kind of official paperwork to show that a gun you owned was actually not in your possession for any amount of time and instead given to what is effectively a stranger. i don't get how that's not sketchy. how are you just putting a gun in the mail and sending it off to a business all casual like that has your name registered in the state to that serial number and you can't account for its exact whereabouts?

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Your state has a gun registry? That sucks.

17. Sweatypants

handguns yea man (MD). its not THAT big of an annoyance, but it IS there, so i dunno what i have to do or not do in this regard.

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The only time I have shipped a firearm was for warranty repair, so I really don't know if it is any different for modification. But I shipped directly to the manufacturer, not through a dealer.
    I have thought about having one of my old SAAs engraved by a local shop, but haven't "pulled the trigger" on it.

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I'll save @Steeltoe the need....

upload_2019-2-13_8-37-30.png

Sweatypants and Steeltoe like this.
  20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Well I would check into your local laws(MD), but when sending a gun in for service, you're not required to do a transfer, because you're not changing ownership.
    When selling a gun to out of state, it doesn't have to be shipped via an FFL, just received buy one.