1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White chalky crap in cooling system!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by TakeItApart, Aug 8, 2013.

1. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

What the hell is the white chalky crap in my cooling system? It's kinda built up like scale, but not as hard and rinses out relatively easily.

Side note: may be related: I developed a leak in the radiator and it appears to be leaking at the thermostat housing as well. The bike basically sat since 4-2013 but I believe it was scaly since early 2013. I flushed it in 2012 pre season, used that Liquid Performance coolant with distilled water. What gives?!

2. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

inspect the thermostat?
    the white chalky things could be three things:

oil. (not usually chalky though)
    or the wax thermostat pellet.
    or silicate from the coolant. (coolant sitting around does that)

3. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

The thermostat works. I removed the radiator and ran hot water in the intake pipe. It would trickle out, then when the thermostat opened, it ran as if the hose was unrestricted. It would cycle, trickle-flow-trickle-flow, etc. about four times per minute at 3000-5000 rpm when fully warmed up.

It's definitely not oil. I'm quite familiar with oil in the cooling system.

I suppose it could be from the coolant.

If no one has any other ideas, I'll fix the leaks, replace the radiator and flush after every race weekend if need be.

Thanks!

PS. It tastes identical to chalk! :D Don't ask!

4. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Hard water? (Calcium)

5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

it is a residue in the performance coolant, like a wax. you see it in engine ice as well. it is a form of lubricant in the solution.

look at a bottle that hasnt been disturbed in awhile, it is all in there at the bottom. shake it, up and it "dissapears".

Ski

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Now I have to find a bottle that sat! Thanks!

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the stuff that settles at the bottom if Engine ice is anti-foaming agents.. could be lube too, but their site indicates it's anti-foam stuff..

8. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I'm assuming the liquid performance coolant is the same way? This is the WERA, AMA, CCS legal stuff I'm using fwiw.

9. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

the white stuff is aluminum oxides, or at least it was on my 03 gsxr1k. noticed a puddle under the bike one day and found the radiator leaking, took it to a shop to have it repaired and was told it was heavily internally corroded and was developing pinholes. at the time i was running distilled water with royal purples purple ice additive,

what it didnt say on the bottle was that purple ice and distilled was a no no
    and when i measured the coolant with a PH meter it was pretty heavily caustic (PH around 11-12)

i flushed everything out with the garden hose and a running engine for about 5 minutes replaced the radiator and went back to standard coolant since its a street bike and havent had any new problems since, been about 2 years now

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

just read their website...
    Why would pure water affect the alkalinity of that chemical? Did you get an answer from them?

11. Pilotx1

I cannot find the emails I sent and got from them to remember exactly what they said but it was basically to the extent of what you copied from their site, I didnt pursue it as I should have

12. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Well, I've already flushed it so I'm hoping that the damage was limited to the radiator. The Liquid Performance didn't say not to use a specific water though, so who knows. I do think I developed a leak from it like you said, Pilotx1. There is no discernible damage to the radiator where it's leaking!

13. skidooboy

wera only allows water and water wetter combo, water only, or water and royal purple purple ice (similar as water wetter).

using the above allows for no error when temps dip close to freezing.

wera does not allow performance coolant, engine ice ect... due to the glycol content.

for me that is a big bummer, i just dont want to have to swap coolant 2,3 times or more a year. engine ice is safe to -27f.

Ski

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  14. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

:confused: It's a non glycol based coolant, and it's not slippery in your hand.

Attached Files:

15. Pilotx1

thats exactly what happened with my radiator, I might still have it tossed in a corner of my garage, If i do ill cut it open and grab a pic if theres anything interesting

16. skidooboy

17. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

The blue non-glycol based stuff. :D Anything else has some sort of slippery base or additive. If you actually mix enough redline wetter water, it too is slippery.

I keep my bike in a climate controlled garage so I don't worry about freezing.

18. skidooboy

i keep mine in climate controled housing too but, if you go to a southern track in early spring/late fall, from pa or michigan, your shit will freeze during the trailering, and you will have big problems.

Ski

19. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

:up: Yup, thanks! I do get it up to operating temp, immediately trailer it to Summit Point, the coldest track in April, then check it and run it when I get there. Then I repeat the process when I leave. Haven't had a freeze up yet. Put a bottle of water in your belly pan in the trailer. If its frozen at all when you get there, suspect the bike may have some freezing issues.

The longest drive I do when it's cold is 2-3hours. I guess you could say I'm a fair weather racer/track day guy.

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I hate it when the guy in front of me dumps coolant on the track and I end up in the ER cause it was extra slippery.

Or the nicer side loose a practice session or laps on already short races so extra clean up can be done cause the stuff won't wash away as easily.

Just a big bummer for me.