1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one, an Audi Q7 or M-B GL???

Discussion in 'General' started by kevincg, Nov 27, 2015.

1. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I am in the market for a new (to me) family hauler. Does anyone have experience w/ either of these to help decide? I have never owned either brand so I have no idea what issues they may have.

I will be looking at these 1-2 years old.

Also, I like the idea of having the diesel in these, but would consider the gas if that is the better option.

Any help is appreciated.

2. I really like the Q7. I messed with one in Dubai and it was on the short list along with the BMW X6 (I ultimately decided on the Macan Turbo).

The Q7 has a lot of room and is nice on the inside. And I think they look badass with some black wheels.

3. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

We got a 2013 diesel Q7. The GL just seemed bigger, wider and bulkier so we never really looked at it. We bought it CPO and it has been pretty good for the year we have owned it.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The few days I had a Q7 left me wanting one. The complaints I had about it were few: It felt like driving the oscar myer weiner mobile at first: long and skinny. It took a bit to get used to the layout of the controls. It gets real damn expensive when you start adding options. It could use more power.

No idea on the MB.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The Q7 diesel will have plenty of power, but you probably can't get one CPO from a dealer right now due to dieselgate.

6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

MB over Audi any and every day of the week if it doesn't have a warranty. If they do, then whichever one you like more. Audi interior is pretty awesome.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh, if you get the 20s on the Audi and you're short, it's a challenge to get in and out. :D

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I doubt wheel diameters change ride height. You just get thinner rubber.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I almost said that, but it's almost Christmas and I decided to let him believe that. You, sir, are a Grinch.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It's important to break the elf's spirits early so he can get his scrawny midget ass back to making toys in the shop :D

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was blaming the f@ckin' wheels. Now shut up and make me turkey pot pie! :D

cha0s#242 likes this.
  12. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

You are choosing between two of the most unreliable luxury SUVs , so buy the one you like the best and get ready for the repair bills.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Q7 is due to be replaced in a couple of months so if you like the old one get it now. If you like to have the latest/greatest then wait. Audi has some deals to keep sales OK during dieselgate so now is not a bad time to look.

14. socal

socal Well-Known Member

I have been enjoying my 2015 Q7 since July 2015. Great car with quality fit and finish. Has sufficient get-up-and-go considering the weight of the car. I traded a Dodge Durango with a 5.7 liter Hemi V8 to purchase the Q7 and I have to say I do not entirely miss the V8. Only complaint is the brakes. I think an aftermarket brake pad, however, would improve braking and reduce brake dust. Several clients have complimented the looks of the car.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Which one is the 2015? Is it the new, much lighter car, or is it the final year of the heavier generation?

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Old body style.

17. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Only problem with the Q7 is that there isn't much in terms of 3rd row. It's there but unless it's a rather small kid, not going to be super comfy.

Mercedes is a bit more luxurious, and bigger, but more expensive, and air suspension has it's positives and negatives.

18. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Have you considered a Lexus GX460? I know we joke about them being bland, but they are solid and current resale is unreal.

19. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it bland, I'd call it hideous.

How does the new Volvo XC90 price out comparatively? Saw one when we were buying the XC60 for my wife and damn that thing is so good looking and the interior is awesome.

20. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

XC90 - Looked at them a few weeks ago. I found the rear shoulder room, way too cramped and I'm a small guy.
    Best 3rd row seating is 2015 Navigator L You can actually sit 3 adults back there. Engine, ride quality & overall experience with it, has been very good. 96,000 miles on our 2015 model.
    Front shocks were leaking at 15K miles, rears leaked at 60K miles.