1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these two chest protector ideas?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by grendels_arm, Apr 9, 2008.

1. grendels_arm

grendels_arm Sam Green Eggs and Ham

I already have a Dainese back protector that snaps into my suit and via a thin strap connects to my torso. Only thing I dislike about it is the strap will get lose a little once you stand up if your torso pushes or something. Anyways I've been meaning to get a chest protector and was thinking of the Bohn Cool-Air chest protector alone. I've heard good things about it and the price is prety cheap. However at my local motorcycle dealer they carry the Alpinestars Bionic SP Vest which seems nice that everything is in one piece. It's $149 like here at kneedraggers.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpinestars_Bionic_SP_Vest--615411.html

Anyways just wondering if you guys think no biggee getting the Bohn and using that in combination with my current back protector?

2. mq105

mq105 Well-Known Member

3. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

The Bohn will work well with your current back protector. It is comfortable and it is a nice piece of armor. We have the Carbon Pro Racer and the Cool Air Pro Racer. They are the same except the Cool Air uses a different base material which flows more air then the Carbon model

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

5. grendels_arm

Thanks Brian. I watched the video you did on the Knox chest protector. That one won't work with what I have as my Dianese one because the strap on my Dianese is horizontal. Glad I watched the video so I could see it's for back protectors with vertical straps. I'll get the Bohn one.

Also the Bohn pants seem like a great idea. I'll have to check the padding in my leathers as I believe the areas those Bohn pants cover has minimal padding in the leathers. So these would be great extra protection.

It still would be nice to have one set of pads sorta of like football players have for the upper torso so not a bunch of separate items. And be nice to if the pants were attached to the upper torso as well.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

7. grendels_arm

Thanks seems to offer good protection. But may be a bit of a pain to get out of this and my back protector. I can't see how in a wreck your sides would get messed up as your arm is in the way if you land. So not sure it's mega important to cover the sides. I mean really if you go to the extreme every square inch of your body is important and should have armor of some sorts. I would guess if you fall your back, chest or arms are gonna be where you'll hit. I'm curious if someone makes armour protection for your forearms and your triceps for instance.

I'm wondering if I should ditch the Dainese hard back protector and go with something totally from one company like Bohn or these guys.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I ran this with my Teknic back protector before I got my new Leathers with the Internal protector... It still fit fine...

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I'll take all the protection I can get...

10. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

I have the A* bionic vest-its flexible-fairly small and very comfortable-but I think its limited how much protection you get compared to some others

11. grendels_arm

Not trying to say protection isn't important. However I think the goal should be to protect the areas most likely to take impact first before moving on to other areas. Side protection doesn't hurt no doubt. But primarily I'm looking for a chest protector. If it covers the sides as well great. Like some I see give kidney suppot.

12. grendels_arm

I'm just trying to think suiting up in between sessions and dealing with the strap for my back protector and then this and it will be a main. Ideally I want something that isn't a hassle to put on or take off.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Honestly Sam its not a Hassle at all... I would throw my back protector on first then this.. Took an additional 12 seconds maybe? Also they are ventilated so if you have pref leathers you still stay a little cool. Great Product.. There are many others out there though. If your ever at a STT event in the South ask if Im there and your more than welcome to try it out..:up:

Marc

14. grendels_arm

My back protector snaps into my leathers. And a strap goes around my torso to hold it in place laterally. It's not like other back protectors where they are separate from the suit.

This is why part of me wants to ditch it and go with one that fits like a vest or has straps over the shoulder blades to hold it in place. And i can put it all on with the upper portion of my leathers hanging way down.