1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which bike to race? 2018 + R1 vs. ZX10R vs. GSX-R 1000 vs. BMW S1000RR

Discussion in 'General' started by AMA229, Oct 3, 2018.

1. AMA229

AMA229 HandsomeBanana

Hello all,

I'd like to start by saying I apologize for asking opinions on all of the different machines listed above...LOL

However, I am curious to hear of everyones experience with these bikes, their level of success in the club or national racing scene, and why they chose the bike they did for the current season.

I'm not new to racing, I raced heavily during 04, 05 & 06 (road racing and supermoto) although I did take 12 years off before the current season. I had what I would consider to be a relatively good year in the C SBK Expert and C SS classes this year. I won several races and made the podium a couple dozen times. I currently race a 2012 Yamaha R6.

I have experience riding the 2016 R1 and 2016 Kawasaki ZX10R. I feel as a rider that the two bikes have very different characteristics.

I weigh 165# & am 5'10"

R1 - I really liked the way the R1 front end worked into corners and how the bike changed direction mid corner. (FKR carts in forks, TTX GP shock). I did not like how the bike came off the corner, especially low speed corners. The swingarm would pump, slip-n-grip, the bike would wheelie, slam itself to the ground, etc. TCS and Lift control were set on 2 and 2 respectively. Worth noting that I did not have a YEC ECU, so my ability to change parameters was limited. The R1 felt very familiar as soon as I swung a leg over it, the bike fit me well ergonomically. I loved the motor, reminded me of my Pro Circuit CRF 450, throttle response was precise and immediate, pulled really well in the middle and had a strong pull to the top. I had no issue flicking the bike from side to side...almost telepathic. I ran the Pirelli SC1 or SC0 rear and SC2 front.

ZX10R - (current mount) Hmm, the bike feels bigger with heavier counter steering inputs, especially in technical sections. Very stable platform that inspires confidence in fast sweeping corners. The harder you ride it the better it feels. Holy shit, It has a monster motor on top!, but, feels downright anemic at anything less than 9k rpm. Those of you that have spent any time on a ZX10R know that when the tach sweeps by 9K it's GO TIME. The KIT ECU's TC is some of the best I've sampled. The chassis is very composed. It doesn't seem to tie itself in a knot exiting corners like the R1 did (could have been rider induced, could have been the lack of a YEC ECU, who knows) K Tech DDS carts in the forks, K Tech DDS Pro rear. Same Pirelli tires that I ran on the R1.

GSX-R 1000 -?

BMW S1000RR - ?

Contingency will play a small factor in my decision. I'm aware of every manufacturers current program.

I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions from any racer that has experience on any of these bikes.

Thank you all for your valuable time!

Regards,

Bryan
    WERA #491 Expert
    CCS #491/ASRA#497

2. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

You can milk anything with nipples

3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

You have a ZX10 already. If you don't like it, and didn't like the R1 [since you don't have it anymore] then get something new.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fast riders have won on all of them. Some riders even have one of a couple different brands to maximize contingency winnings. None are that much better or worse than others, if you're fast enough you'll do well on any of them.

Jon Wilkens and Metalhead like this.
  5. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

The Kawi with the TC and motor is a hard bike to beat. Bonus points since you already have it. Sort out the suspension and there's no excuse for not being up front.

6. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

BMW has a good contingency program and Mesa during the WERA triple crown rocked the s1000rr!

AMA229 likes this.
  7. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

BMW is dropping a new 1000 next month. Posted the teaser for it yesterday.

8. AMA229

AMA229 HandsomeBanana

I was there racing, yes sir he did! I talked with him the night before the race. Great guy, great family, exceptionally skilled racer!

9. AMA229

AMA229 HandsomeBanana

Do you have a link? My local dealer told me it may be as late as July before we saw the "all new" S1000RR. Thank you!

10. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Have you changed the steering head angle and swing arm pivot on the zx10? I had mine done in spring and it handles beautifully even on stock suspension.

The stock geometry is setup for stability and does not turn in nearly as well

HellrazoRR likes this.
  11. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

You can fix the heavy feeling with chassis set up. Andrew had some similar issues at the beginning of the season but we really got that bike to handle good. Getting the center of gravity in the right position made a huge difference.

Proper gearing helps a lot with low RPM power...but the current ZX10 engine character does not like "stop and go" type riding. This bike really rewards a rider that can carry good roll speed through the mid corner. We found that most of the issues on the ZX10 could be fixed by the rider. Once we found a good base setting we were only doing clickers and preload to dial the bike in...and most times we ended up back at our base setting for the race. We used the kit electronics as well. The kit stuff works ok for what it is but has some limitations. We found a good balance between electronics, chassis and engine character. It was good enough for the rider to do his job and I know Andrew really loved racing the ZX10.

12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Oh they didn't say anything, maybe one of the video nerds here can figure out how to go frame by frame and maybe get a fuzzy image to spank it to. The talk is lighter, faster, more electronics etc. Who knows though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bobx9FkAzlH/?hl=en&taken-by=bmwmotorrad

AMA229 likes this.
  13. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Cbr1000rr :clap::Pop:

14. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

Bobby Fong has raced 3 manufacturers in two seasons...I wonder what he would say?

15. AMA229

AMA229 HandsomeBanana

I have the .5 offset in the steering head. 23.5 degrees if I remember correctly. Do you race the bike on stock suspension? Thank you.

16. AMA229

AMA229 HandsomeBanana

No doubt, he'd be a great source on information.

17. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Ah so you already did the head angle, I have .5 offset as well. Maybe try the swingarm pivot if that is still stock?

And yeah I race it on stock suspension. Aside from the geometry, exhaust and flash/tune its bone stock. Took me from intermediate track day pace in spring to winning Amateur races in CCS midwest this year. I still dont feel like the suspension is holding me back either (on smooth tracks like Blackhawk and Road America)

I've been using Pirelli all year and tried one set of Michelins, took them off after 12 laps because they did not work well with the stock suspension.

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

whatever big bike ya end up with, keep racin the 600 classes with us Bryan :)

AMA229 likes this.
  19. AMA229

AMA229 HandsomeBanana

Thank you sir! I'll see you at the GNF (on a 600) :timeforabeer:

MELK-MAN likes this.