1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where was SV650 domination??????

Discussion in 'General' started by CharlieM#90, Feb 25, 2000.

1. CharlieM#90

CharlieM#90 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or did anyone else notice the threat of total domination by hordes of SV650's in LW classes predicted by FZR400 pilots these past few months failed to materialize this last weekend at TGPR?

Charlie McCullough #90 Ex

2. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

I saw many an SV for sale in Roadracing World this winter for cheap. After racing against them last season on my Aprilia, I am convinced that they are turds in the corners. Straightaway speeds were very fast though. I think there will be a few fast experts going very fast on modified SV's (different triple clamps and Gsxr Forks) but overall, not too many consistantly on top.

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Hmmm, thing are different here in the SC region, SV's rule. They do need a bit of suspension tweaking, but the forks can be made to work fine. Once they're dialed in, look out!! I haven't lost to an Aprilia yet<g>.

Rich

4. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

I see what Charlie's getting at. The SV's really did smoke everyone at Tall. They are still in development though. I have been beaten by a few of them here and there but not my hords of them. Plus Tall. is a very small tight and technical track. Now RA or Savannah will maybe be a different story because of the straights. Last time I checked though it's about 80% rider and 20% bike.

5. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Well, since you can't build an SV now because the rules were adjusted, that's exactly what you *should* be seeing.

The argument was that under the old rules, 4-stroke water-cooled twins were allowed 700cc of displacement (and of course unlimited modification). A 700cc SV with superbike mods would BURY an FZR400. Keener is getting 90+ hp out of his.

Now you can't modify an SV beyond SS rules (with the exception of using slicks) and us FZR guys can use 2mm overbore, so you should see fairly comperable performace - which is all anyone wanted.

A SS rules SV should put out about 72hp, which a well-built FZR is capable of matching (or being very close to).

- Brian

6. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

Keener is getting 90+ hp out of his?? Ouch!
    Is he using stock rods? I heard that they are not strong enough for high horsepower motors.
    I believe that Wernly #62? had a little trouble with his motor after heavy mods last season...his bike was fast though! I heard he now has adjustable offset for his front end. We will see how that works out.
    Anyway, i agree about tight tracks...at Summit point, it is hard to even stay in the draft of one on an Aprilia. Nelson, on the other hand........

7. WERA476

70hp, 75hp, 90hp,.......ouch! And here I sit racing my poor little EX and I'm feeling like superman if it's making maybe 65hp on a good day. Just makes Ltw Solo's and Ltw Tw that much tougher on us EX, GS and Hawk guys. Oh well, run what ya brung!

8. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Keener has a full-on superbike built by our sponsor, SpeedWerks. *nothing* is stock in that thing. It was built for CCS and PACE Pro Thunder events. I believe it would still be legal under LW Twins rules in WERA Though... I pity anyone in that class if he enters in a WERA weekend at Summit with it.

As for the EX getting 65 hp on a good day... talk to Charlie Wright (Road Rogue Racing). You can get a LOT more HP out of one of those [​IMG]

In both these cases, however, you're spending some cash. But hey! We're in a superbike class... We're trying to get 80hp out of my RR, dunno, but we'll see.

- Brian

9. WERA476

Oh I know you can get more power out of it, I have seen the back end of Frank Strohams more than once. Problem is you can get more power but it gets the grenade syndrome going on.