1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to buy 125 slicks

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Billy B, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

I need a set of slicks for a mini with 17s on it. Does anyone know the best source? Thanks,
    Billy

2. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

3. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Thanks!
    Not that it'll likely matter on a mini (KTM 105) all that much, but any opinion on which are the best way to go? I'd rather have a tad less ultimate grip and slide predictably than have the tire suddenly let go (a la Michelins years ago - yes, I'm old).

4. Toadmeister00

I have ridden all three, and have seen guys win on all three. Honestly, I think it just comes down to what is the most convenient or easiest to get. They all cost about $300 with shipping.

I ran Dunlops for the first few years I raced minis, then switched to Pirellis a few years back when I started racing an SV650 on Pirellis. It was just easier to grab a set of 125 slicks from the tire vendor while I was at the track.

5. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Good enough then. Really appreciate the input.

6. Toadmeister00

Yes sir. You can't make a bad choice between the three.

I have a KTM 105, also. It's very well set up and I love the thing, but switched to a 150R after getting beat up on by them for a couple of seasons.

7. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

I hate to hear that about the 105 vs 150R. I haven't raced the 105 yet, getting ready for an event in Alabama. I figured the 150Rs would be tough to beat as I'm sure they are easier to ride, broader spread of power and all. But the 105 should have top end and a weight advantage I was hoping might even it out?

8. Toadmeister00

I have been helping a guy out from AL over on the KTMTalk forum. He's putting one together for kart track (and some singletrack) use.
    There's lot of info regarding the 105s on that thread: http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?546030-Rebuild-instructions

I would say the KTM makes more outright hp and is noticeably lighter, but the R is just so smooth on the throttle through the corners and the power curve is just so broad. It's just an easier bike to get around the track on.

I took them both down to VIR last month, and I was consistently .40-.50 sec quicker on the R, but the 105 would trap 1-2 mph higher.

[​IMG]

9. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Nice looking bikes. You're probably talking to my pal Murf in Alabama - he's the one who sent me a link to the endurance race for minis and this is a good excuse to finally get my 105 on the track. He's putting a 105 together now. I'm not surprised by what you're saying, once the 105 falls off the pipe even a bit, you're going nowhere fast. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to racing it, especially since I'm a big 2 stroke fan and have a significant investment in "Fuck 4 Strokes" stickers :)

I'll check out the ktmtalk link - thanks.

10. Toadmeister00

Yup, it's Murf. You must be his friend that he bought the 2nd brake caliper bracket for? I sold him the 260mm rotor a few weeks back. He sure lucked out with tracking down those discontinued brackets.

I'm a big 2T fan myself, and stuck with the 105 for a bunch of seasons. I fought the urge to switch to the 150r platform but couldn't pass up the bike when a buddy put it up for sale, it was already set up and ready for the track.

Don't let me get you down with the 105, they are definitely potent and a blast to ride.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Don't know your budget, but when we were running mini's and a 125 on the big track, the takeoffs from the 125 would still last awhile on a 150R on a kart track.

12. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Yes Murf is sending me the caliper bracket - I have a mc/caliper setup off some 2000s-ish KTM 250 or whatever 'big bike' setup to put on with the 17s, which I'd think is more than enough for a bike the weight of the 105.

Rob - appreciate the tip but I'll buy new slicks since I have more $ than skill :)

13. Toadmeister00

So I hear that you're quite the gifted rider! I'm anxious to see how you do on the 105 vs. the 150Rs.

14. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Ha! You must be talking to Murph. No, I'm not that fast - he's just slow :) Definitely will let you know how it goes on the 105. Stickboy is sending me some Dunlops - thanks again for the pointer on tire sources!