1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the smallest/thinnest 17’ inch rear tire out there?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cbrkp, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

hey all,

Looking to mount the smallest/thinnest rear tire on a 17 inch rim deflated or with very little air just to move the bike up a ramp into a 4x6 vnose enclosed.

I’m short a few inches of getting the bike to fit. If there was no tire I’d be golden but i need a tire to roll it up the ramp.

Thanks!

2. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Looks like 160-70-17 and 110-70-17 are my options. Going to try deflating the rear tire and hope the door will close

3. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Adjusting the rear axle all the way forward might get you another inch too.

4. Pkelly2020

Pkelly2020 Member

What about strapping down the rear suspension. Like drag racers do with the front but strap the rear instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

This has to be the weirdest tire thread ever. But the underlying question is what do you do with the bike after its comes out of the trailer?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And a 160/70 is taller than a 160/60

7. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

8. genosr1

genosr1 Well-Known Member

sell the 4x6 and get a 5x8 trailer

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

and buy a god damned diesel tractor to tow it!!! :D

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

You sir read my mind! I ended up doing this and it works perfectly. i’ve done this in the past trying to maximize space in a van by propping the bike on the stand, giving the stand to some use and out of the way. Given that i have less length space pulling the wheel off clears it perfectly without having to deflate tires or try any other combinations :)

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What supports the rear when the wheel is removed?

12. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

The pitbull foward handle spool stand :)

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Have you already slid the forks up in the triples as far as they can go. And then wrapped a ratchet strap under the fork on one side and run it over the top of the frame, hook the other side of the fork and crank it down to collapse the suspension. That should knock you off a few inches right there. If your problem is an issue of height, even with the windscreen and mirrors removed I'd imagine the front sticks up decently higher than the tail.

14. fastfreddie

I foresee snapped spool mounts in your future. Railroad track, tabletop overpass...you will hit that one bump on your first trip that catches you off-guard and, if you're lucky, nothing breaks. If nothing breaks, that doesn't mean it can't/won't on the return trip.
    What do you do if you wipe out a slider while on track?

15. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

How bout a forward mount trs?

16. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Interesting I would like to use my pitbull TRS but the circumference of the wheel is too big... i’ll give it another look tomorrow

17. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

The entire bike is strapped down so there should be minimal vertical and horizontal movement to discourage force from bumps in the road to break the spools during transfer. I’ve personally tested it a whole season in the past in a cargo van.
    As for loosing the spools at the track likely the rear would need to be removed and the subframe laid flat on the floor.

I guess there is the option of laying the rear swing arm flat against the floor ontop blocks of wood keeping the motor, body work, etc off the the floor

18. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

The issue im experiencing is length not height. Is there was a tire that was like a low profile tire instead of a 200-55-17 that would be ideal. Something like a 160-10/17 lol

19. fastfreddie

Did you remove the wheel and suspend the bike from the spools when it was in the van? If not, your assessment is in error.
    Your tie-down "system" will put pressure on the spools. They'll be easier to break as you've pre-tensioned the shear point. One sharp whack, and crack...the straw that broke the camel's back.

20. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Wheel suspended on spools not removed and strapped down.

Please feel free to explain the engineering dynamics that would change the situation with only the wheel removed?

Extra info not initially mentioned that the the front is also in a baxley wheel chock with straps pulling towards the front. The rear is only strapped down to ensure its not bouncing up out of the rear spooled stand. I’m not putting superman heavy strapping force on the spools. Please feel free to enlighten me

If it is really worriesome I’ll drop the swingarm onto some blocks