1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the one kitchen implement you can't live without?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A ricer makes good spuds if you like them super smooth and not pasty, got one but go to the old school hand one most every time. I like chunks.

rd49 likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For the show she also had an entire crew of prep cooks :D

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

its the size, a jap one is small and light, and is under 30 dollars, a french one is big but has more options like waffle fry cuts. But a jap one can do all your normal things

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah, then I've got a japanese one and didn't know it. Mine will do waffle fries too tho.

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Smooth vs. pasty is more down to the type of potatoes than the masher.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That does make up part of the difference but how they get mashed is part of it too. Now on that score I'm talking mixer versus ricer, not factoring in the hand masher as that'll never be truly smooth but also shouldn't be pasty either.

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

True, red bliss have more starch/gluten. The lightest mashed potatoes will be Idaho russet potatoes in a ricer with heavy cream and butter

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Hell with it...

upload_2019-9-16_15-37-44.jpeg

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

This presumes your neighbor has what you are looking for... I have nice neighbors.

Want me to take a pic (Yep, have both. Actually 2 Japanese and one French. Maybe I have a problem)? The French mandolin is all stainless and is a little hard to setup (has fold-out feet) and deeper slot for the material. Basically, my "problem" with it compared to the Nipondenso unit is it actually scares me to use. I can't help but think I'm going to shred my fingers. And, here's the kicker, for most stuff it doesn't work any better.

I'm working my way up to a cast-iron population photo, but need a wide angle :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Yzasserina, Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Hot
    No. No one has. And if they did they're idiots.

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

You’d be surprised how many pay that....and a whole lot more.