1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the one kitchen implement you can't live without?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah hell, forgot about them, adds another 3 items to the list. The full enamel is really nice at times over seasoned stuff.

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

More than one but every boat I cook on will have these, a Japanese Mandolin, cuisine art food processor, kitchen aid mixer, silpat silicone sheet

BigBird likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:crackup: :moon: There's always enough booze in them that nobody (except you) wouldn't call them real.

4. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Pack of smokes & a Zippo. That's my kitchen timer.

BigBird likes this.
  5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Can't none of you goobs can out-cook me.

6. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I love me some home-made mashed 'taters.

[​IMG]

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

There you go, old school. And anybody that brings up a potato ricer ( I’m looking at you dsapsis), just no. :D

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I got an antique one.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Is having both a good or a bad thing? :D

10. Captain Morgan

A small ricer will make the fluffiest mashed potatoes and is essential for making gnocchi

11. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Also a must have for potato dumplings. They make a very different mashed potato than the hand mashers or a mixer.

12. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I didn’t even think about the enamel stuff.

A few years ago I was leaving the neighborhood for a meeting and noticed estate sale signs for a house up the street. Remembering who the neighbor was, that he had been there and raised his whole family here since the 50’s, and that he could still make a killer chicken liver pate into his 90’s, I stopped. A whole later I left with all the cast iron (well over 50pounds of stuff) and a second edition Julia Child French Cooking, along with some other books and small things. I think I spent $40. They were more worried about selling dad’s woodworking tools that they didn’t even look at the kitchen stuff.

13. Captain Morgan

The hand mixer gives those little chunks and a bite knowing its real, If you rice them with heavy cream and butter, smooth, all I got to say.

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:stupid:
    If you’re gonna have sharp knives, cutting boards are a necessity for the various item you're cutting.
    Silicone spatula for the non stick surface cookware.

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

It is amazing what you can find at estate sales, and in this context, when restaurants go out of business. One of our favorite French places in NYC fell on hard times, glorious final evening, bittersweet auction. You're damned right I snapped up a cab full of stuff. God I miss La Mediterranee.

16. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Sharp chef’s knife number one, with a close second being our KitchenAid stand mixer (lots of baking in this kitchen).

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Who doesn't?

18. Captain Morgan

Bet no one ever paid 300 thousand eating your food for a week

Phl218 likes this.
  19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I suspect no one he knows is that fucking stupid. Because here is the truth. No matter how good the food is it all turns to shit.

Quicktoy likes this.
  20. Captain Morgan

So you would rather eat shitty food, drive a shitty car, date an ugly girl, have a shit job. The list could go forever. People are that stupid and thankfully keep me employed. Life is short, good food and wine is something people should enjoy. Doesn't have to be expensive, I had some great 3 dollar bottles of wine visiting my brother in Spain

BigBird and Phl218 like this.