1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the deal with gas in Atlanta?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gigantic, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

A number of my friends on Facebook that live in Atlanta have been complaining via their status updates that there isn't a drop of gas to be bought in Atlanta & hasn't been since last Friday. What's going on there? Is there a fuel shortage there, or are my friends just whacky artists, perpetrating a hoax?

2. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Nope there's actually a shortage going on here. Media isn't helping by pumping the general public about it every day. Saw a bunch of gas stations completely out on the Northside yesterday and the ones that did have it had ungodly long lines for the pumps. Quite a mess right now. I know yesterday in Stone Mountain we weren't fairing too bad, but that very could have changed overnight or this morning.

3. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I just saw a report that they are running out. Atlanta, TN, and the Carolina's are the ones that are really being affected by the refinery shutdowns due to the hurricanes.

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Yup. Gas is in low supply around here. Atlanta requires a special blend due to air quality standards. It ain't flowing through the pipeline from the gulf at full capacity yet since Ike. One supplier here says he's expecting normal amounts to be available around this weekend.

5. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

It's mostly the media winding people up, who then go and have to top off their tank every time they drive past a gas station because god forbid they not be able to drive to mcdonald's. Can you tell I'm annoyed with the level of stupid? There isn't a shortage. The company that does most of the tanker runs in Atlanta has said the storage tanks have plenty. It's just a matter of getting it delivered to the stations. People are panic buying faster than they can fill tanks. It also doesn't help that some of the stations can't actually pay to fill their tanks because they are running on thin margins.

6. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

It's wierd- I haven't heard anything about it, either in the two newspapers that I read or on NPR. Granted, I don't watch tv hardly ever, so...

7. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Well-Known Member

Last time I checked, we have these things called "Interstates" You can't tell me we can't get gas down there... This sounds like a 3rd world Country problem not a "Super Power" Country problem.

I'm not denying that is' happened, I am questioning why?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The media created a panic that had no basis in reality. There is plenty of fuel, just have to quit freaking out.

9. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

I filled every vehicle and jug I had then stocked up on milk and bread and taped plastic over my windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

We are back to normal here in TN. It was about a 3 day issue. As soon as the hurricane was over the trucks hit the road on their way back here. The Pilot stores never ran out, they were selling at $5-$5.50 per gallon and taking a loss(honest that's what their President said :D ). The Weigels stores ran out for about 3 days then only had premium for half of a day then they were back up to full capacity within 4 days.

I filled up before Pilot started gouging then just made it last until the "crisis" was over.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We didn't have a problem right after the cane but now the media is pushing it every chance they get we're having issues near all soccer mom gathering places. It's fine out further.

13. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

i wouldnt ride the fiddy around inside your house with the windows taped. that race fuel exhaust's not all that good to inhale :D

14. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

but then, i dont guess any exhaust would be good to inhale :)

15. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I went to get gas this AM in Greenville, SC. I went to two stores (no gas) at the third I got Reg Unl for 3.79 a gal but all the other options were sold out.

On the rest of my way into work I noticed several stations with signs on the pumps or bags over the handles.

Im suprised it came down to $3.79 a gallon too.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Damn soccer moms. :D

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That is strange. Here we have plenty of gas and it's cheaper than it was pre-hurricane. I might should shut my mouth since I have to get gas today and haven't looked at the stations today. :wow:

18. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

$3.49 a gallon here this morning on my fillup. :D no empty pumps.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

We've had supply/pricing issues in Augusta since the hurricane. Some of it was supply related, most of it was top off terror. A lot of stations are still out. Some have single grade and prices are al least $0.30 higher than pre-hurricane.

20. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

It was the same way in Nashville over the weekend driving to and from Barber. We stopped at at least a dozen stations that had no gas. In Birmingham at one station they had a ten gallon limit. I didn't see any signs of price gouging though (any more than normal)