1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats everyones honest oppionion on the best bike for each vintage class and why?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by penton, Apr 5, 2001.

1. penton

penton Well-Known Member

heres mine !if you could get it to stay running i think a gamma 500 would dominate v6,v5,and formula 2 smoke. for instence 289 pounds 140hp .thats three classes you could alternate.almost bought one!!!!!

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

A GS -450 of course. [​IMG]

3. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

MV Agusta 350/500 GP bikes in the early period classes for which they are eligible?

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

LWC - If you have lotsa cash... Ducati or Aermacchi 250. If you are poor, do your own R&D and need cheap donor motors... Honda 175.

MWC - Ducati or Aermacchi 350 (I have a soft spot for Aermacchi)

HWC - couldn't say. Gilera would be my pick but of course it wouldn't apply here with WERA Vintage since most of us couldn't afford one.

V1 & V2 - Honda 350

V3 - Yamaha XS650

Couldn't comment on 2-stroke classes or super-vintage.

5. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Oops, I forgot to give reasons why.

The Ducatis and Aermacchis are proven winners. They've benefited from decades of R&D.

The Honda 350's are giant killers. They can be made VERY fast yet relatively reliable.

The XS650 is a strong runner and probably the most bullet-proof motor in vintage racing. I think that even the fastest one out there can reap major rewards by using a properly tuned exhaust (2into1 as upposed to the usual TT or 2into2s usually fitted).

Last but not least... the Honda 175. I have yet to see one that was really properly developed but I think it can be the CB350 of the small bikes. It's advantages over the 250 singles are it's two cylinders with a 360 degree crank (which really benefits from a properly tuned exhaust), it can be bored to 240cc and it's ability to rev. It has a 41mm stroke and fairly small pistons which, theoretically, can rev to more than 14,000rpm's (rpm = power). I've been developing mine with the goal of eventually making power at those high rpms (13,000 so far) and although I haven't gone to the big-bore, it's proven itself against a lot of larger bikes.

[This message has been edited by Diesel (edited 04-17-2001).]

6. VINTAGE777

VINTAGE777 Guest

DEISEL YOU WOULDNT BE A LITTLE BIASED ABOUT THE 175 WOULD YOU [​IMG]

7. penton

penton Well-Known Member

and yours is a blazing fast machine.that things looking trick. good luck this year and ill see ya at nelsons.

[This message has been edited by penton (edited 04-06-2001).]

8. penton

penton Well-Known Member

thats pritty interesting .would like to see one what class 's would that run? vintage has the best selaction of bikes.

9. penton

penton Well-Known Member

thats an interesting selection.we got a guy that does research on his arimachi(?) that is the loudest thing on the dyno.arimachi art i call him benn modifying his for seven years or soo.

10. penton

penton Well-Known Member

thats cool that arimachi dude was doing some pipe tuning last monday i think im still deaf

11. schwantzmobile

schwantzmobile Byron Tucker #80 expert?

What wins in V6: most of the time a 86-88 1100 gsxr.
    Sometimes : a 89 fzr750 bored out to 900 something cc's, also a fzr 400 bored out to 410 - 560