1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do if you won the lotto?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, May 9, 2017.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Great, got yellowfin, wahoo, Hamachi, wakame and edamame in my freezer now in Nassau. You just need to win the lottery. Saw a boat years ago with some sportbikes on top. I could deal with a couple of ducs next to my hells bay if I won the lottery!

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

There would still be a question of your salary. Wealthy people don't spend money foolishly and remain wealthy. Knowing your proclivity to "misplace" money, I'd be offering a place to eat, sleep, have a good time and dole out a couple bucks for port visit "expenditures". You'll have to negotiate up from there.
    Oh, and you'll need a USCG Mariner Document...I ain't havin' no riff-raff on my ship. :D

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

No riff-raff on the ship?!?!?!? Well guess you ain’t bringing anybody from this place aboard :D

Knotcher and Sabre699 like this.
  4. Captain Morgan

Have a 100 ton uscg license, even though I just cook food and guide people to fish

5. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

That must be a bitch to carry around...

L8RSK8R and Dave Wolfe like this.
  6. Captain Morgan

Yeah, my job already does that, pays for my sandals and my toothpaste, room and board at Atlantis right now, lazy river right now, th e pool, or the beach

7. Captain Morgan

Clever comment, respect

8. fastfreddie

A good ship needs a swabby or two. Step up! :D
    100 ton, eh?
    I may have to triple your pay. ;)
    I would prefer an AB ticket or 1600 ton but, a cook? I think you just need to be sober (enough) a few times a day. :D

britx303 likes this.
  9. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Is a 100 tons like 100 ft ships?

10. fastfreddie

There abouts, if it's a streamlined 100 foot.
    Probably more like 80 foot for typically shaped yachts. There's an international limit set at 78' (24m) for some certification beyond which things get bureaucratically expensive.

11. Captain Morgan

On a 112 Westport now and it's over 200 tons

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

You clearly stated “no riff-raff”. I’m out.:D

13. fastfreddie

There's Ordinary Seaman riff-raff and then there's vagabond lookin' for a handout and passage to the next watering hole riff-raff.

Most, if not all, of the Beeb membership would fall into the Ordinary Seaman category if they stuck it out as a swabby for a year. The money to be made can be Broome-esque, with considerably less chance of dying in a fire.

The titles I'm using are probably outdated, but I'm talking ocean-going positions on vessels larger than 100 tons. I was an Able-Bodied Unlimited Seaman, roughly 3x the qualifying experience necessary for a 100 ton license. Next step for me would have been a 3rd Mates License Oceans which pretty much would have qualified me as a 1600 ton Captain.

To put it another Broome-esque way, work five months, take off the next seven...or work seven weeks, take off the next 2-3 months...or work eight years and just take off, eh. :crackup:

What else could be done with lottery winnings?
    Buy a super tanker, make one trans-oceanic haul of crude, get your purchase money back and then some. As much as ships can cost, one trip of crude can pay for the whole shebang. After the ship's 20+ year lifespan, pull the diesel(s) and put 'em in another hull.
    Wrap y'all's heads around that kind of profit! It ain't for the homesick but, if you're the owner, you never have to go to sea anyway. Just sit on your fat, rich ass and hire whoever you need to do whatever it is you need doin'. Shipping ain't goin' away, ever.

While I'm on a little bit of a roll here, something to consider if anybody has an inkling that this may be a lifestyle for them.
    There's treading water for fifteen minutes in a pool to get a Lifeguard endorsement,
    and then there's treading water in the middle of the ocean until a ship comes by...
    :eek:

14. Captain Morgan

Or just keep life simple, don't make lots of money and don't waste lots of money. Vacation in cheap places. Anyone interested to learn how to kiteboard booked a week long boat trip in Egypt. 1200 for the week' lessons are more but will be a cool trip, the rider experience, check it out if anyone wants an adventure??

15. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Transition my life from working 50hrs/wk for someone else to "working" 50hrs/week for me.

And by "working" for me I mean:

1. Have fun
    2. Make good memories
    3. Be an awesome dad and husband
    4. Figure out how to give away most of that money

Captain Morgan likes this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

1. Hookers and blow
    2. Hookers and blow
    3. Huh?
    4. Hookers and blow

Saiyan66 likes this.
  17. Captain Morgan

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I’d have to put control of all the money into my fiancés hands. Because… read the two posts above

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Dude.

I thought you was gangsta.

You can buy a dozen new fiance's with that kinda scratch.

You done got domesticated, brah! :Poke::Poke:

:D

20. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I mean, I’ll bust a cap in dat ass… but only with wifeys permission :D

mid there’s one thing I know… all the fine pussy in the world doesn’t compare to a good woman. They are hard to come by in this day and age. I had to import mine from another state :crackup:

you know how fucking nice it is to literally never have the thought cross my mind to question what she’s doing or impulse to look through her phone?! Chasing pussy is for the birds man. I got other shit to handle nowadays.