1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what would the beeb pay for this truck? f350 diesel

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragginass, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Look for something else. A 6.0 that is running bad now is just going to cost you big bucks to repair.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

$Nothing$

4. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Zertrider is correct. 6.0 Ford diesels are unreliable. Ford diesels are decent with the 7.3 motor, essentially 1999 to certain 2003 models.

Dodge, anything prior to 2007 is good for the Cummins. Manual transmissions are coveted. Automatics are "ok" if they have a recent rebuild on them.

Chevy/GMC...well...let's not go there.

5. Dragginass

Lol thanks guys. I'll let that one pass.....

6. Dragginass

Trucks are stupid expensive, even the small ones. A new Tacoma crew cab is $30-35k, and even the used ones are ridiculous. I'm looking to pay cash, under $10k, for something used. I can't find shit that doesn't have 200k miles on it. Argh.

7. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Buy a van!

8. Dragginass

I've looked at the Chevy express and ford e series vans. I'm cool with the van idea but I still cantn stomach paying $10k for a van with 120k miles. It makes me want to gamble on a $2k clunker instead.

9. billy_06evoix

billy_06evoix Well-Known Member

I had an '03 F350 with the 6.0 that I always towed with and it had a custom tune on the SCT handheld. 220k miles when I got rid of it and no problems. It had factory head studs, but EGR was deleted. Put ARP studs, EGR delete, oil cooler delete, and a programmer and it will last you a long time.

10. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

But this one already has problems, so your experience may not reflect what may be in store with the one he was looking at.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

If you're looking at diesels that cheap I would just find a clean 7.3 ford. it's your best option IMO or a van. 7.3 is not going to get great gas mileage but they are reliable and 200k is nothing on them.

12. Dragginass

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

+1000.

14. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Build yourself a cummins truck Shane! It's gotten so popular now that all the parts are readily available. Not feasible if you need a work truck immediately though. I have a cummins engine sitting at the house now, down the road I'll pick up a 5.4 f250 or something similar and start swapping. Or you could just buy this one: SUV but it's already done!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4581983302.html

15. I wouldnt buy it simply because of all of this bullshit.

WTF?

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

V10 in the fords is good as well up to about a 10klb trailer, then you might want to go diesel. I wouldn't get a diesel for anything other than pulling a heavy trailer. If you want a cargo hauler, get a 3/4 ton or larger van.

17. I wouldn't get a gas truck for anything other than a canopy anchor.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ill side step the "6.0 is a bad engine" arguments because the folks that typically make such claims do not earn a living with their trucks.

That being said the ecoboost trucks might be worth looking out for. Just a quick search showed this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-150-...e8fa7f421&item=131259167777&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

but there are XL trim trucks with that motor that should be much cheaper. Maybe look at DOT auctions or super large construction companies. Still above your $10k budget but you are also getting a much later model vehicle that is more than capable of towing/working.

I have a vehicle budget to buy something that works 20+ days a month... aint no way Im buying another diesel platform in the near future. I certainly would not buy any used diesel without extensive service logs & a thorough mechanical inspection.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

:Poke: Its 9:00am EST... have you checked your check engine light? :D

20. :moon:

CEL was due to the damn emissions shit. Now that stuff is removed and not only is the CEL gone, but im getting 16-17mpg in the city and almost 22mpg on the interstate, even driving like an asshole. I got over 18mpg pulling my 6x10 trailer with 2 bikes.

I have never gotten those mpg figures out of any gas truck, loaded or unloaded.

Strong enough to pull a 41' toy hauler any speed I want, quicker/faster than just about any car, while getting better mpg than anything I have ever driven and can safely go 8-10k between oil changes (some guys go as far as 25k, but I won't). Can't beat that.