1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would make a coil keep failing?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fonda Dix, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I have a Jeep Renegade that has been stone reliable for 29,000 miles. It has been treated like a Wrangler having gone over Engineer, Black Bear and many others. With the lift and tires it has been flawless.

However, in the last 500 miles it has eaten three ignition coils, all on the same cylinder. Coil failure is pretty rare but the dealership (its under warranty) says they just failed, all three of them. That seems far fetched to me.

Any suggestions on what could be the cause or what I can check? Any help is appreciated.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Too high a voltage (ie current for a fixed resistance)? Why just one cylinder is the question....

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Swap a coil from another cylinder and see if the problem follows the cylinder.

Have plugs been replaced?

Ian178, BigBird and G Dawg like this.
  4. Fonda Dix

No sir they just keep replacing the coil (coil on plug). Looking at the paperwork, they did not check plug gap either.

I will have to wait for another failure to do the swap you mention. Hopefully there wont be another failure.

5. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

If you unblock your profile page, I'll PM you what's going on. High security on the beeb these days.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Coil failure isn't rare at all. Ask anyone with a 5.4 2 valve ford. After the second one I'd be looking into it more. 29k isn't much for a modern spark plug, but it would have been changed on the second coil failure for sure. High resistance can kill them quickly. I'd be watching firing voltage on an O-scope to see for anything odd.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'd put a set of plugs in it and not have to deal with another coil failure.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  8. Fonda Dix

I am not sure how it got locked so I have no idea how to unlock it.

Let me see if I can figure it out.

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Why not post what is known so the next guy knows?

BigBird, t500racer, scottn and 2 others like this.
  10. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I know it's a douchey move, sorry man. I would have preferred to just PM and not post in the thread at all, for professional reasons.

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'd like to see that PM :D I'm more curious now.

12. Fonda Dix

Really sorry dude. I think I fixed it. If not, no worries. I do appreciate you and all who have posted here for helping. Its been pretty frustrating. I love that little Fiat, I mean "Jeep" :)

Its surprisingly capable for what it is and I would hate to get rid of it.

13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Lol. That’s the community spirit!

14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Only a chrysler owner would be proud of being reliable for 29,000 miles. Glad you think you figured it out at least, 3 coils in 500 miles let alone in 29,000 miles is unacceptable.

t500racer, turner38 and ChemGuy like this.
  15. Fonda Dix

Oh I agree but lets be clear, that thing is not a Chrysler. Nor a Jeep

Its a Fiat Panda. :)

You have a good and accurate point though.

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Odds are really good That cylinders voltage is going too high and is killing the coil. Most likely a plug issue but also could be a saturation issue with that cylinders coil caused by a driver crapping out. They should really be looking at the primary ignition side with a lab scope under varying conditions to isolate the issue at this point....
    They’d be buying it back if it was mine and it did it again.

17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If it's still under warranty, at what point do you start thinking lemon law?

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Different by states and certain criteria have to be met. May not even qualify due to mileage.

https://lemonlawusa.com/